Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Stirring up the hornet's nest....

From: Stikmanjim@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 19:56:27 -0500
Subject: Stirring up the hornet's nest....
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

I've lurked for a long time...reading all the interesting posts from all of
you Love Hounds.While i've enjoyed reading all your opinions (some are quite
insightful), I would like to point out something funny and, at the same time
annoying that occurs in Love Hounds. You know,  the old Tori vs. Kate rift.
Now,  I don't really understand the comparrison. Ok, like I understand
they're both female singer/songwriters that play piano and have a wide vocal
range. Now that's simple enough to understand.
       It is my (subjective,  though well thought out) opinion that Kate Bush
produced two of the greatest  records of all time:

                                    THE DREAMING
                                     HOUNDS OF LOVE

      They are truely masterpieces. Timeless (like sgt pepper), unique-one of
kind,  beautiful works of art. Kate has never topped these. I can remeber
before Hounds of Love came out, none of us knew what to expect. Could Kate
top The Dreaming? Well....that of course was the wrong question. They're like
two parts to a great book. If I was limited to two records to listen to for
the rest of my life, here they are. And you all know the greatness of these
records. Ok, so they haven't sold as many copies as Dark Side of the Moon.
 But I believe the  one who understands great music,  knows  real
masterpiece's  value  isn't always dictated  by how many people buy it . We
all have a great musical secret.  Have you ever played KT for a friend? It's
like saying, Hey this is really great music...and if you don't think so, you
have not really listened closely enough, and therefore you know nothing about
music. That's the reason some of the people who post sound like cultists.
They know great works of art. They know the great artist.

      Now with that said, can any of you honestly compare Kate to Tori? Maybe
you could if Hounds of Love and The Dreaming didn't exist . Then there would
be a comparison. But it's funny and annoying when you compare the composer of
two great works of art, to someone who hasn't created something as brilliant
yet; maybe Tori has a "Hounds" or a "Dreaming" in her, if so,. I have not
heard it yet.

     Well this should stir up the hornets nest. If you disagree with this,
you have not listened to Hounds of Love or The Dreaming, in fact you insult
them. -
                                          Jim .   .