Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Secret to Kate Bush's appeal.

From: odysseus@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca ()
Date: 1 Mar 1996 20:00:30 GMT
Subject: The Secret to Kate Bush's appeal.
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

I fell in love with her music around about 1980.  I first heard Babooshka
and feel it was a good single.  But when I returned to it monthes later,
I became obssessed with her work.  I started backwards on her music and
ended up listening to "The Kick Inside",  then went forwards until I
reached her Dreaming, which took me forever to get used to and
appreciated.  Then came "THL" which I adored for it's melodies, lyrics,
mythology and imagery.  Then came "TSW"...not quite as appealing, then
came "TRS" interesting, perhaps mainstream pop-although it seems to have
lost that which I think is her strength and the Secret to the appeal of
her music-
	  Her piano playing, and unaccompanied singing, as well as her
references to Celtic lore, and witchcraft.  She is a most unique artist
, and yes since her first album, she has always been very attractive.
But perhaps, lately her music is becoming to addorned-and too mainstream,
it seems to have lost that special quality early in her career which made
it so universal and aurally pleasing.

P.S.  Listen to Tori Amos's new album "Boys for Pele" and check out track
number 7- "Caught a Lite Sneeze"-she sounds identical to an early Kate Bush!
It's most haunting.  Although Tori doesn't have the "mystical" woman
quality as our beloved Ms.Bush...

See-ya!

--
Here's a snapshot of my two cats: