Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

precious-things, a new Tori Amos discussion list

From: mcurry@world.std.com (Michael Curry)
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 00:16:52 GMT
Subject: precious-things, a new Tori Amos discussion list
Newsgroups: rec.music.tori-amos, rec.music.gaffa, rec.music.misc, alt.music.ecto
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

   Announcing the opening of an alternative Tori Amos discussion list,
precious-things.

   How to subscribe:

    version       address                                     command
    -------       -------                                     -------
    loose         precious-things-request@smoe.org            subscribe
    digest        precious-things-digest-request@smoe.org     subscribe

        Precious-things was created to hopefully provide a high
signal-to-noise mailing list for fans of Tori Amos.  The other fora for
Tori Amos discussion on the Internet - the Usenet newsgroup
rec.music.tori-amos and the really-deep-thoughts mailing list - are all
too often plagued by senseless flamewars, excessive topic-drift and a
generally high level of cluelessness.  Thus, we have created
precious-things@smoe.org to meet the need for high-quality discussion
of Tori Amos' music and lyrics.

        Although news and informational posts are within the scope of
this list, precious-things has not been created to compete with the
recently created torinews list.  Precious-things was primarily created
to provide a haven for Tori Amos afficianados who lacked either the
time, energy or inclination to put up with the high traffic of
really-deep-thoughts or rec.music.tori-amos.

        Precious-things is not overtly moderated and there is no editor
to approve postings made to the list.  However, we hope that the
mailing list subscribers will self-moderate their contributions to the
list so as to create and maintain the high-quality mailing list that we
have envisioned.  We have developed a set of guidelines for the list
which are listed below.  Adherence to these guidelines will not be
strictly regulated, but the listowners will enforce them should the
need arise.

Acceptable Topics
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Discussion of Tori's song lyrics, musical arrangements, etc.

- Discussion of Tori's appearances on television or radio and reviews
  of her albums in the print media.

- News and informational posts.

Unacceptable Topics

- Transcriptions of interviews and articles from currently-available
  newspapers and magazines.

        To avoid accidential personal replies to the precious-things,
the list will be configured to so that replies will not be
automatically addressed to the list.  This may be an inconvience to
some subscribers, but it will cut down on the number of unnecessary
posts.

        To prevent spamming, the list will be configured so only
subscribers may post to it. If you are one of the unfortunate who use
mulitple addresses or have random addresses due to a mis-configured
system, we will try to address that problem for you.

        We are not trying to create an cabal of expert Tori fandom.
Precious-things is open to all and no one will be denied subscription,
unless their actions on the list warrant it.  We are trying to
encourage a worthwhile forum for discussion, not a hangout for Tori
elitists.

        To subscribe to precious-things, send a message to
majordomo@smoe.org with the words "subscribe precious-things" in the
message body. To post to the list, address your contributions to
precious-things@smoe.org.

        Finally, your listowners are woj <woj@remus.rutgers.edu> and
Mike Curry <mcurry@world.std.com>.  If you have any questions, they can
be contacted at owner-precious-things@smoe.org.