Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate's Sci-Fi music

From: Steve ZPJ <zpj@huskbeat.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 00:24:58 GMT
Subject: Kate's Sci-Fi music
To: Love-Hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

I don't know if this is news to people but Kate is mentioned in the
FAQ for Sci-Fi appearing in music.
You can get it from
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/music/sci-fi-refs/faq.html
and Kate's entry is as follows:
>Bush, Kate:
>"Breathing", about breathing the fallout following a nuclear blast, (supposed
>to be sung by an unborn child) is from "Never For Ever", and "Experiment IV"
>from "The Whole Story" about designing a sound that can kill.
>"Cloudbusting" is about a boy (played by Kate in the video) whose father
>builds a rain-making machine and is kidnapped by the government.

>        (This song was inspired by Peter Reich's "The Book of Dreams".
>        The lines "I hid my Yo-yo/In the garden/
>                what made it special/made it dangerous"
>        is a reference to the fact that the rainmaking energy was inhibited
>        by radiation, so Peter's father made him throw away his yo-yo.
>        Peter buried it in the garden instead.  -- Theo O'Neal)

>        (Peter Reich's father, Wilhelm Reich, was actually a 'scientist'
>        (regard the quotes) who did research in 'orgone energy'. Don't ask
>        me seriously what 'orgone energy' should be, but one of it's
>        abilities should have been to make it rain. The story
>        behind that is not sci-fi at all, it is true life (more or less).
>        Wilhelm Reich was actually arrested by the government and died in
>        prison, something the nine (or so) year old Peter couldn't comprehend
>        as a child. Peter later wrote 'a book of dreams' to cope with that
>        experience. -- Ulrich Grepel )

>See also "Hammer Horror" from "Lionheart", a throwback to the
>horror films of the 60's.  "Deeper Understanding" from "The Sensual
>World" is about computer addiction. "Hello Earth" from "Hounds of Love"
>refers to an astronaut viewing the earth from his spaceship.
>KB also covered Elton John's "Rocket Man".

__
zpj@huskbeat.demon.co.uk
ca5sha@isis.sund.ac.uk

-- Anyone who can stay sane in this world must be mad --