Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Questions answered

From: violet@online.np1.com
Date: 27 Feb 1996 01:42:44 PST
Subject: Questions answered
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

: spike45@sos.sos.net (monroe/fisher) wrote:
>A friend of mine had a CD of these demos but the quality was
terrible. They
>sounded as if they may have been recorded from the EPs. I hope to
pick these
>EPs up when in CA this year. If the quality is better than what is
out there
>now I will be glad to make copies for those interested. Of maybe
what
>everyone here is listening to is better...I guess there is no way of
knowing
>unless I listen to them. Well at least I've got them on tape for now.
There
>are some great songs here and if I remember right the sound quality
of the
>vinyl is not bad at all.
>
>One more thing I hope can be answered by someone. Not long ago I read
>letter posted to ECTO stating that Kate didn't care for her early
work. Has
>anyone else heard this? If so, what is the source and which early
works?

>Bye for now.
>Wayne

For years, I had copies made from the LP and EP versions of the demos.
They were muffled and scratchy.  Then, I made a copy directly from a
CD and the sound was fantastic!  So much clearer than I would have
even hoped for.  I wonder why your friend's CD was so bad.  Hmmm....

And it is true that Kate is not enamored of her early work.  She is
especially not thrilled with Lionheart.  She was upset that she was
pressured by the record company to record it in a matter of months (of
course she was upset!--we KNOW how long she LIKES to take!).
Personally, this album is my favorite.  I think that Kate does well
when made to do things more spontaneously.  I hate to say it, but on
her own, she does sort of like to beat the horse after it's dead.  She
also has said many times that she simply doesn't care for the old
stuff because, in her words, "It's old."  Ummm, whatever.  I firmly
believe, bacause nothing has ever proved otherwise to me, that there
are two kinds of Katefans.  The first prefers the old stuff (HoL and
before).  The second prefers the new stuff (HoL and after).  I am one
who likes the early Kate.  I liked the wider variety of topics she
sang about, the more theatrical style, and the quirkier vocals.  I
feel that in the later stuff, she has tended to write more basic MOR
lovesongs from her own point of view as opposed to passion plays from
a character's.  And smoking has destroyed her vocal range.  That was
what drew me to Kate to begin with, and I'm sad that it's gone.  But
hey, that's life.

Violet

P.S. Oh, and this info is from many sources.  I have read it several
times over the past years, and can't begin to remember where.  Maybe
you could ask the person who posted on Ecto?