Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

kate's new song

From: MATH TRIED ERR <METH@delphi.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 16:39:15 -0500 (EST)
Subject: kate's new song
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hi!

Peter Chow informed:

>Kate has recorded a song in Gaelic for a forthcoming album entitled
>'Common Gound - Celtic Voices' due for UK release on Premier Records
>(a division of EMI) around 6 May for worldwide distribution.

May?!?  I thought it was going to be March?

>Kate has recorded a song called 'Mna Na h-Eireann' [excuse the lack of
>accent on the 'a' in Mna].
>As to what the title means and whether it's a traditional song or one
>she's written, I don't know. Perhaps someone could enlighten us
>further...

A couple weeks ago, I posted the text of this traditional Irish song (for
which there have always been words but the tune was lost, the opposite of
"My Lagan Love") as sung by Susan McKeown and the Chanting House on their
debut CD, _Bones_.  I was trolling for translations, but no one so much as
acknowledged my post, and I didn't save it, nor do I have the time nor the
inclination to retype the whole thing now.  But yes, it is traditional, and
I can't wait to hear Kate's take on it.

I can't wait to hear the entire album, for that matter- the list of other
contributors is fabulous!

|Meredith Tarr                                               meth@delphi.com|
|Boonton, NJ  USA                        http://remus.rutgers.edu/~woj/meth/|
|"February was so long that it lasted into March" - Dar Williams, "February"|