Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: What Irish song?

From: 100427.2530@compuserve.com (Peter Chow)
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 01:45:54 GMT
Subject: Re: What Irish song?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

mbrx5ajh@stud.man.ac.uk (Mandy Heath) wrote:

>What, when, where, how????!!!!!!!!!!!

Kate has recorded a song in Gaelic for a forthcoming album entitled
'Common Gound - Celtic Voices' due for UK release on Premier Records
(a division of EMI) around 6 May for worldwide distribution.

The album is the idea of Donal Lunny who has asked artists to
contribute a folk song each.

Kate has recorded a song called 'Mna Na h-Eireann' [excuse the lack of
accent on the 'a' in Mna].

This was quite a task as she does not speak any Gaelic.
She started by getting some books/tapes on the language and learned to
pronounce the lyrics that way. Having recorded some roughs and
practiced the lyrics, Donal flew over from Ireland to spend a few days
coaching her further on the lyrics. He then left and she completed the
track and sent him a DAT to check if all was ok.

Apparently, she had done very well as he only had to correct her on
four items before ok-ing the track.

As to what the title means and whether it's a traditional song or one
she's written, I don't know. Perhaps someone could enlighten us
further...

Others appearing on the album are:
Maire Brennan
Tim & Neil Finn
Bono & Adam Clayton
Sharon Shannon
Paul Brady
Sinead O'Connor
Brian Kennedy
Elvis Costello
Davy Spillane & Donal Lunny
Andy Ivine
Liam O Maonlai
Christy Moore

I have been running a Kate newsletter for a while now for a small
group of people (mostly friends) and will shortly be experimenting
with my first web page. The plan is to produce a port of the paper
copy to electronic pages.

It, like the paper version, will be a condensation of Kate news from
here on RMG, Homeground, and the KBC. I can't guarantee you'll hear it
from me first (especially, if you're a RMG lurker) but it will be a
one-stop place for news without chatter.

Stay tuned for more on this (possibly coming soon) venture...

Peter Chow from London (UK)