Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Trio Bulgarka

From: "Michael R. Abram" <70604.3311@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 21 Feb 1996 21:11:40 GMT
Subject: Trio Bulgarka
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Trio Bulgarka

On 1 Feb Jan 1996, Glenn Duley Smith wrote:

> But o o o! Hey, wait.  Listen to Vol. 1 of Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares,
> track three.  Listen to Vol. 1 of Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares, track three.
> "Kalimenkou Denkou"
> I've had the record for, oh, six years, and it *STILL* makes me weepy.
> I don't understand a single thing they're saying.  And I still
> get all of a tearing-up.  :)

> Simply the most beautiful recording on the planet.  Period.

> Those Bulgarian folk writers used the most WONDERFUL chordal structures
> and phrasings I've ever heard, and that track is the paragon.

Glenn, I have to agree with you about the beauty of  the Voix Bulgares.
Remember, though, that they are the national women's chorus, and that their
arragements are VERY professionally polished.  For example, check out the
crescendos in Vol. 1, track 1.  If you want to hear that kind of chordal
structure and vocal technique with an  INCREDIBLE amount of raw energy, try
Ivo Papasov and his Bulgarian Wedding Band.

What Kate has done with the Trio Bulgarka is magnificent.  As a computer
professional, I especially dig "Deeper Understanding".  You must admit that
the idea of singing your own song on top of indigenous folk songs has been
done, and done well many times before, notably by Paul Simon.  Kate uses a
Georgian men's chorus on "Hello, Earth" (Hounds of Love) to great effect.

What I'm leading up to is my recent experience of an artist who listened
(I'm SURE) to Le Mystere, and distilled their essence into her own art.  I
refer to Sarah McLachlan, and "Mercy" from her Solace album (1991).  I am
begging you to hear it.  She has the close harmonies, the vocal melismas
(ornaments), the microtonal scale, AND you can understand every single thing!
(Great lyrics!)  It's a contender for most beautiful recording on the planet.

In my spotty lurking on gaffa, I've seen a lot of talk about Tori, but I would
place Sarah McLachlan in the singer-songwriter Pantheon with Kate Bush and Joni
Mitchell (two of Sarah's ACKNOWLEDGED influences.)  She's a keeper.

If I haven't been flamed yet, I find Kate's early work too shrill (hurts my ears).
I believe she reached a peak on HoL and sustained it on TSW, but I can't relate
to TRS. De gustibus no disputandum! (You can't dispute taste, but you sure can try...)

Best to all,

Michael Abram