Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Stuff

From: Emmy May Lombaerts <lombaeg@donald.interpac.be>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 21:51:56 +0100
Subject: Stuff
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hello everyone,

engjs@cc.newcastle.edu.au (James Smith) wrote:

>It's no more morally wrong to buy from a bootlegger than it is to get a
>copy from a friend. In both cases you are obtaining Kate's work without
>paying for it, although as she has not chosen to make it available for
>you to buy that's a moot point. The moral position of the friend who
>copies the tape for you or the bootlegger who sells you the tape have no
>bearing on your own moral position. 'Given' is not somehow more moral
>than 'sold.'

     Jim, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one I fear :) I do think
there's a difference. Kate may not have given permission for the work to be
released, but it has been released anyway, and the fans are going to want to
hear the demos. I'd never try to make money out of Kate either, but I
certainly don't feel like I'm doing anything wrong by copying tapes and
giving them to my friends.. But maybe I just have no sense of moral
whatsoever <big grin>

Then violet@bbs.np1.com said:

>People used to ask how could I listen to Kate when she's so
>depressing.  They thought I was whacked when I told them not only did
>I NOT view her as depressing at all, but actually listened to her
>music to get OVER being depressed myself.  The song that does it for
>me every time is "Symphony in Blue."   This song is about being
>depressed, but it's the most anti-sad song I know.  The whole thing is
>about saying "Look at how much time you're wasting, silly girl.  Get
>into being a little red for a while!  Live."

       Yes, I agree. There's nothing depressing about Kate's music. It gets
very melancholic at times, in certain songs bittersweet, but there's always
hope at the end of the line, and faith in better things
to come.. To my ears the most hopegiving song has to be 'Constellation Of
The Heart'.. 'Without the pain, there'd be no learning, without the hurt
we'd never change'... Those really are words of wisdom.

    Tori fights fire with fire, whereas Kate tries to distinguish the flames
with the cool waters of hope and positivity.

          Emmy.

Emmy May Lombaerts
lombaeg@mail.interpac.be        Krd@www.dma.be

http://www.dma.be/p/bewoner/Krd/

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
'Caught a lite sneeze, dreamed a little dream, made my own pretty hate
machine' ~ Tori Amos
o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-