Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

PHOENIX: Demo Lyrics, Interim Report 2

From: Lord Chief Justice <Wieland_THE_EAR@Love-Hounds.earth>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 11:39:36 -0100
Subject: PHOENIX: Demo Lyrics, Interim Report 2
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

INTERIM REPORT 2:
Demo Lyrics (considering Violet's, Esther's and Emmy's contributions. )

Before we start: "Scares Me Silly":
Swimming [?] amid the cans,
I wonder can I goad myself into another take,
And keep the mood?
It's like a film - such balance
I close my eyes to the cello solo,
And make the [?] music.   <=======Here I hear "And ethnic music" ???
will never let me blow away.

Can this be?
It sounds more like "eightnic", but maybe that's accent or whatever?

Okay, now to:

[Violet:]

RINFI THE GYPSY
> I don't think, however, that she is saying "Ooh long, long, long" at all.
> I think she's only vocalising and singing "Ooh, no-oh-oh" as a cry
> of anguish at being left yet again.

You can think so and Emmy can think so to, but it def. sounds much more
like  "long, long, long...", IMHO of course. And it makes good sense. If
necessary it's  maybe not "long", but "no" is a bad replacement. Especially
the line before the last  Canasta refrain at the end, is DEF. "long" and
this seems to be a repetition of the  earlier line.

DALI
> Here is where I'm going in a completely different direction than any
> taken before. The problem line:
> "You've seen your en-Dali...."
> Listen to it this way...
> "High, I can't see you
> Leave Senora Dali alone
> And higher still she keeps her gallery."

WOW! Yeah! Violet! That's superb!!! It fits nearly perfect! And it makes
much  more sense than anything else. So far the best suggestion, I think.
It directs one to a  straightforward interpretation.
On the other hand it's rather exotic. What if it's wrong? I can imagine KaTe's
face, laughing about this...
But, NO, it's just too good to be wrong!

I looked through my Dali book, but can't find any painting to this song.
The  nearest is one, that connects "Debris everywhere" "High" and "She (a
woman)". It is  "The Ascension of the holy Cecily", but I can't think that
KaTe had this in mind.

CRAFT OF LOVE
> I believe this firmly:
> "A big ROUND bubble of sensuality
> DARED to be burst,
> But worried about getting hurt"

Good! The thing is, when you read along the lines, you can always hear the word
you're reading at the moment, so either "round" or "warm". But I must admit, I
prefer your words now, they fit a bit better, esp. the "Dared" is VERY good!!!

RARE FLOWER
> "I'm not allowed to touch AND lust
> I've got to get a hold of myself, I must
> Doo-doo-n-doo-doo"
> "It's calling me with a MENACING WHISPER
> MAGICAL WORLD, ENCHANTING ME"

Okay, 'give me one second to succumb': 1-100, 2-100..
It's 3 : 1 against me here, he?
I've had  IED's words "Would I've ever see him whisper of" and this fits
just perfectly from  the sound point of view, but the meaning? Hmm, hmm..
Okay then, let's take yours.  It's better. What about the "of" after the
whisper?

WHILE DAVY DOZED
> More thoughts not yet mentioned:
> "Your face seemed radiant
> THE WALL WAS TOO STEEP WITH A CRACK IN THE MOMENT
> AS I HELD YOU, oo-ooh

Violet! 'My funny little darling', are you Kate? :-) This is again just
PERFECT!!!  Oh goody...

> And while LA-LA LA-LA-LA- LA-LA-LA Davy dozed,
> I close my eyes
> REALISING THE TIME IS CLOSE FOR US TO GO"

No. It's either "Realized" or "Realize". From sound I tend to
"Realized".
Another refinement: The first time it's
...na-na ne-na-na ne-na-na Davy dozed (8 na's)
the second time it's
...na-na ne-na ne-na-na Davy dozed (7 na's).
:-)

Btw. this song is one of the greatest pieces of recorded music in the
history of mankind!

SCARES ME SILLY
> How come you're scolding me?
> I have "How can this girl be me?"

Yes! Yes. That's BETTER! From sound both are almost equal, but there's no
reason for 'scolding' here, when they turn down the lights for her to
start singing.  Your line makes more sense, def.

Violet, you're ace, what a great contribution! Thank you very much!!! Can you
accept these digital kisses from me?
One for "Senora"
One for "Dared to be burst"
One for "The walls to steep.."
And one for the "How can this girl be me"

here they come:  X  X  X  X

That's four kisses! I have four kisses on my left. Anyone? Four kisses!
FOUR kisses, Ladies!

Esther wrote:
> I don't See Why I Shouldn't (Pick The Rare Flower)
> Towards the end of the track, when the piano is really kicking thumping
> away  after the last of the lyrics, I can hear what sounds like a cup and
> saucer rattling in  the background. Presumably this was on top of the
> piano, and the vibrations from  the piano caused it to rattle. At the end
> of the track Kate obviously stands up very  abruptly to turn off the tape
> recorder as she knocks the afore mentioned tea cup.

I can't here anything DURING the song. I checked several sources. The
sound at  the very end: I know what you mean, it SOUNDS like a tea cup, but
I'm pretty  sure, these sounds are only artificially enhanced turn-off
sounds of the recorder.  I'm pretty sure.
Nevertheless Esther, when you hear THIS in the BATH, please try it again
with  HEADPHONES!

Emmy May Bronte wrote:

DALI
>>And higher still she keeps her gallery."
> To me it sounds a little like.. 'And I hear, still she keeps hergallery'.. .

No, def. not. Please listen again! It's "higher".

> At the moment, I'm trying to figure out which painting she could be
> referring  to. Maybe the song could be Kate's interpretation of a certain
> Dali-painting.. I'll do  some more delving on that one, I think :)

This is my idea too, it would be really cool to find this painting. But I
haven't  much hope. So far I can only think of the "Cecily" picture, but
it's Cecily after all  and not "Senora Dali"!

RARE FLOWER
>> "It's calling me with a MENACING WHISPER
>> MAGICAL WORLD, ENCHANTING ME"
> yes, definitely.

Okay!

DAVY
>> THE WALL WAS TOO STEEP WITH A CRACK IN THE MOMENT
>> AS I HELD YOU, oo-ooh
> I played this *REALLY* loud this morning, and I still can't hear it
> properly, but I keep trying..

It IS VERY difficult, especially the end bit "moment" is almost impossible to
get properly. Can you admit, that Violet's version is a little bit better than
yours? I can offer one extra kiss here!
LADIES, one extra kiss here! Anyone? One EXTRA kiss!!

>>REALISING THE TIME IS CLOSE FOR US TO GO"
> I think it's just 'realise' not 'realising'.

Yes.

> Great ideas, Violet! :) I'm curious to see what you heard on 'Scares Me
> Silly'.

Yeah, I'm waiting, Violet. I have several hot extra kisses ready to go!

And folks, join in, please! It's so interesting. And you will get a place
in history,  and not only in history, but in the history of KATE BUSH, who
is as we all know GOD!!!

    It is now universally acknowledged
       that the only thing in life
    worth wasting any thought on at all
                is Kate Bush.
   Everything else is just killing time.
          There is no question
  whatever of the truth of this judgement,
which is unanimous, absolute and irrevocable.

Best wishes
    Wieland

--------
KTISGOD.