Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Ninth Wave and other things...

From: btd@carina.cray.com (Bryan Dongray)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 00:13:52 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: The Ninth Wave and other things...
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hello Alan,

> I've been REALLY addicted to TNW and TD for weeks and weeks now... The
> point is that I've listened to them so much, especially TNW, that I think
> I've finally realised why they 'work' so well for me.

They are particularly good, aren't they!

> Well, when I listen to TNW, I have to listen to it all, otherwise it
> loses some of the magic (and continuity) and I was lying around listening
> to it the other day and realised that I could picture the story, and what
> was supposed to be happening to Kate, in my mind very clearly. I think
> it's partly to do with the way the songs don't sound like she's singing
> lyrics, but more that they sound like what she's thinking (especially in
> "And Dream of Sheep", "Under Ice", "Watching You Without Me" and "Hello
> Earth") or they sound like a conversation ("Waking the Witch" and "Jig of
> Life"). For "The Morning Fog" it seems like a cross between both of
> these, as though she is thinking of what she's going to say to her family
> when she sees them again (e.g. "...I'll tell my brothers...how much I
> love them...") but at times it seems like she is already telling them
> (i.e. having a conversation; e.g. "...I love you better now...").

I'll assume you did not see the binary posting last year (not by me) which
was huge so caused many complaints, which was a fans screenplay for T9W.
I did get a reader for the document and posted a 700 line text version
on Katemas eve 95. I can send it to you if you'd like to see a fairly
good idea for this, a little tidying, lots of dosh for the video and
it'd be an excellent mini concept/story/music-video (IMO).

> That probably sounds really stupid, but I think it's the way I can
> visualise the story plus the way the lyrics don't sound just like an
> average song (not that Kate's ever do, but this seems even more
> appropriate for TNW). I suppose the same thing works for TD... okay, so I
> can't forget the videos for "Sat In Your Lap" and "The Dreaming", but the
> rest of it gives me the same sort of pictures in my head, like Kate's
> actually telling a story. I think Kate got this across pretty well on the
> video for "There Goes A Tenner".

I do have to agree, I far prefer the "make it so obvious" pop video stories,
such as TGaT, Army Dreamers, Cloudbusting, Wedding list, Experiment IV,
and Breathing (at a stretch), whereas the others seem to be a loosely
related dance routine hinting to the lyric imagery. Perhaps it is one
of cost to make a video, perhaps Kate is more impressionist and realist
when coming to making videos. My mind is full of ideas and images for
the songs I hear, to make a video for most of her songs. I don't think
I have the resources to be able to "roll my own" though, of good enough
quality, nor technical equipment/whizz for what I imagine. Although I've
often thought to do some simple "home video" for the "home demo" songs,
the raw video style would probably fit the raw song style we have.
OK, some would need a budget (eg Stranded at the Moonbase, now where's
my spare Apollo rocket). But some (including B-sides) could be really
easily done. Maybe when I have the spare month or two!

			Bryan Dongray