Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KT and the demos

From: Emmy May Lombaerts <lombaeg@donald.interpac.be>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 1996 22:54:31 +0100
Subject: KT and the demos
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Glenn Duley Smith <smith@midsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm just a weee bit confused as to why she's abbreviated "KT" in y'all's
>postings, and not "KB"

      I guess this has to do with the first symbol used by her fanclub, and
on her record-labels.. The typical KT that was everywhere.. .

Then "Forward, Jonathan" <JForward@sitgbsd1.telecom.com.au> said:

> This is Kate's biggest failing for me - not recognising her great
> works as great. It would be fine if she had destroyed all those
> early works and gone on to re-create them in an altogether more
> sublime form (if possible), as when Michaelangelo obliterated his
> (and his assistants') first enormous effort on the ceiling of the
> Sistine Chapel to allow something more glorious to take its place,
> but... taking "Oh To Be In Love" and "Wuthering Heights" as two
> signal examples, Kate has the ability to take masterpieces and
> render them somewhat threadbare. Eric Clapton sounds great with
> just an acoustic guitar; Larry Adler sounds great with just his
> harp; Kate sounds great with just a piano. I think sometimes even
> Beethoven wasn't as deaf to his own talent as Kate is to hers.

           I can only agree with that. Actually I'm baffled when I hear that
Kate is now dissatisfied with her first albums and her earlier work in
general.. The prize she pays for perfectionism, I guess.. I still prefer the
original vocal of 'Wuthering Heights'.. And I think it would have been
brilliant if the demos had indeed been released later.. In a version Kate
was happy with. Songs like 'Disbelieving Angel' and 'Frightened Eyes' are
just to wonderful to be discarded.

               Emmy.

Emmy May Lombaerts
lombaeg@mail.interpac.be
http://www.ping.be/~ping2242/emmy.html

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
'Caught a lite sneeze, dreamed a little dream, made my own pretty hate
machine' ~ Tori Amos
o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-