Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

PHOENIX, the lyrics, some thoughts

From: Wieland Willker <willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 1996 11:36:58 -0100
Subject: PHOENIX, the lyrics, some thoughts
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hello friends,
Bryan wrote:
>Other great moments though that I really like:
>All the "A-ee-aha-ee-aha-oo"s from "Dali".

The whole song is excellent. Very beautiful piano lines!
Very "Dali"!
The more I think about it the more I believe it's about some crazy 'Dali'
in you.
But the mysterious mixing of "you", "she", "me", "he". ????

No problem for me, says Wieland.
My meaning centered text interpretation:
(Note punctuations.)

==========================
High,
And can't see you,
Lives in you a Dali.     <===== New line here!!!
- Alone.                    ( "you a" sounds not perfect, but it makes more
sense!)

And higher still
she keeps her gallerie
("Distance means nothing to me.")
Deeper here: Lies hidden. (A lie)
Answers and treasures for him. (the crazy 'Dali')

"Oh, I prefer absence",said she
"My heart grows fonder."
- Alone.
============================

Hmm, I'm not at all sure about it. Especially the last bit fits not very
good. Not perfect, just an idea.

>Also the "oohoo..." in "Something Like a Song".

And this: "Ooooooohooooo...
           While na-na ne-na ne-na-na Davy dozed."
It took me a while to get the na-na's right!
IED had 8, but there are only 7!
(Yes, so does Wieland spend his spare hours!)

[Rinfi the Gypsy]
I also love how she says "you funny little darling"
and "you weirdo stranger", so sweet,
phantasies of a 15 year old girl.
Kate: "I had such an excess of emotion that I needed to get it out of my
system and writing was how I did it." (Visual Doc.)

Rolf wrote:
>> You fall for all the men
>> You shouldn't fall for at all."      [it all?]
>
>surely i don't have the best recording of this (blue moon),
>but it sounds like there's one more word in the second line,
>something like "You shouldn't fall for all at all."

Good idea. Other opinions?

Hey, give it a try!
Aren't there more than 300 lovehounds out there?????

Best wishes
    Wieland