Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Early Years (from HG, old)

From: Wieland Willker <willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 1996 11:20:07 -0100
Subject: The Early Years (from HG, old)
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

THE EARLY YEARS

The following two excerpts from HG give us the only known facts about this
record. There are several other rumours though.
I highly acknowledge the publication of this information by PDFM.

from HG 23 (Summer 1986), p. 2:
" -Early Years- Bootleg stopped in its tracks"

Someone, somehow has got hold of one of Kate's early (circa 1973) demo
tapes, which appears to have contained not only a number of Kate's early
songs, but embryonic versions of more well-known tracks. A West German
company appeared to believe that it had bought the 'rights' to this tape
and was set to issue an album entitled:"Kate Bush:The Early Years".
EMI-Electrola in Germany were aware of this, but some reason took no action
to prevent the release. The album was in fact pressed and white labels send
out in an attempt to secure overseas distribution deals. At this point Kate
became aware of the proposed release, and feeling that her early mistakes
are not fit for public consumption, took the appropriate legal action. The
stockpiled albums will now be destroyed (sorry, we don't know how to get
hold of one!).

from HG 29 (Xmas 1987), p. 6:
"Kate Bush - The Early Years - West Germany - 1986"

Ah yes, the almost semi-mythical disc. HG can assure yout hat it is/was
quite real. It was a single album containing ten songs recorded by Kate in
her early Gilmour days in 1973. We have a tracklisting for eight of the
songs as follows:
1. Something Like a Song
2. Need Your Loving
3. Davey
4. You Were the Star
5. Gay Farewell
6. Cussi Cussi
7. Atlantis
8. Sunsi
9. Disbelieving Angel
10. Go Now While You Can   [Ten songs, not eight btw.!]

No, we don't have a copy of the disc.