Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate, Tori, Videos, A Howling LoveHound And The Cathy Demos.. Phew :)

From: Emmy May Lombaerts <lombaeg@mail.interpac.be>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 1996 21:24:39 +0100
Subject: Kate, Tori, Videos, A Howling LoveHound And The Cathy Demos.. Phew :)
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hiya folks,

Amidst all the debating nbuchwa1@ix.netcom.com (Norman Buchwald) wrote :

>Well, some of you did disgust a friend of mine (who is fans of both
>Kate and Tori) from coming here again  (He was a newbie lurking here).
>Melodramas?  Come on.  You'd rather tolerate Kate's earlier stuff
>where she mimes just a bit too dramatically?  (Especially if you see
>her videos one after another?)  Argh.  I wish I could remember the
>producer's name, but so far Tori does not produce her own videos.  (I
>think those videos are better than most that's out there, by the way,
>even if none really have told a story (my favorite kinds).  And Kate's
>videos did not become really good until she directed, produced her
>own.  Think about that.  (Well, she didn't do "Cloudbusting" but right
>after that.  And I think she had some control for that one, too).

     I have to admit I'm not too fond of Kate's first videos.. . And even
Kate herself stated in an interview a few years ago that most of her earlier
videos (They were directed by Keef, BTW, who at the time also worked with
Blondie among many others) now make her cringe. Of course way back in the
late 70's, the age of video hadn't really lifted off yet, and most videos
from around that time (Bowie aside) were pretty 'naff.. .  But anyway, for
the video for 'The Whole Story,  Kate even replaced the original clip for
'Wow' with concert-footage, simply because she really wasn't happy with it
anymore.

   The only one of her earlier videos I really like is 'Breathing'.. But
then that was already from the third album. My favourite Kate video has to
be 'Hounds Of Love', because that just seems to fit the song so well.. And
'Experiment IV' of course. The more Kate gained control of her work, the
better it became.. .

   I'm not sure who directs Tori's videos, but the ones I've seen so far,
I've really liked. Especially 'China'. It's beautiful..

>So what other female artists are in the same realm with Kate?  Or is
>she the only female in your mind?  (I know lots of male artists who
>sound like each other and I've never seen them put under so scrutiny
>as to "steal from one another.")

      Definitely Happy Rhodes (I agree with you fully about 'Just Like
Tivoli), but also Danielle Dax (Check out 'Big Hollow Man'), Milla, Heather
Nova.. And then there's the German singer Mandy Winter, but IMHO, the latter
is just a poor imitation. Her voice may sound like Kate's, but that's where
the comparison ends, I think. Happy, Danielle, Milla and Heather are all
very talented singer/songwriters, and although they may be reminiscent of
Kate, all four have a unique kind of musical magic that's all their own.

Then that person over there, pointing at Modern Day Warrior
<Trev@kolinahr.demon.co.uk> said:

>Agree entirely on your BfP/TRS comparison. BfP is a beautifully structured
album, whereas >TSW and TRS both sound disjointed. They sound like 10 or so
completely different songs, but I >guess that is the appeal of Kate. There
is so big a gap between albums, that the albums do not >capture one
particular  mood, whereas BfP has certainlty caught Tori in a more
acoustically >bare/informal structure.

      Hmm, I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. I think each of Kate's
albums has its own personality, its own atmosphere, its own mood.. Like
thread that ties all the songs together... IMHO, this is particularly the
case for 'TSW', which to me sounds even more like a theme-album than 'The
Ninth Wave'

Then kentenglnd@aol.com (KentEnglnd) shouted into the void:

>And this discussion of that Tori-creature has GOT to stop. Take it to her
>OWN SITE, okay?

       Soooo... Who died and made you the Net-police?

>How about alt.music.kate-bush?????

      And what, may I ask, is wrong with rec.music.gaffa? Besides, when you
look at most of the alt-music-groups you'll see they get flooded with
cyberjunkmail in all its shapes and forms.. Sure, Gaffa gets its fair share
of overeager Philippino's (Are you still out there, Laura? :) ) and silly
ads, but check out alt.music.ecto with its immortal Pearl Jam-threads, its
rich quick-schemes, the countless spams, not forgetting the Win95-debates.
and you'll see just how bad it can *really* be.. Wall-to-wall goddess - and
NOTHING else? It's a lovely thought, but in this anarchistic place we call
USENET, it's also very unlikely, I'm afraid.

[The Cathy Demos]
Wieland Willker <willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de> wrote:

>Some questions:

>- - Did all the 23 demos we know today, come from one and the same tape?
>  I assume Organic Acid comes from another source!

     According to the Dutch-fanclub 'Scares Me Silly'/'Really Gets Me Going'
was recorded sometime around 1976, as well as the demo for 'Moving'. That
sounds very plausible to me as the production of those songs (bv's etc) is
more sophisticated than the other 'Kate and piano' songs.

>- - Where did the 'Early Years' demos come from? The PTA-session? How did
>   this tape find its way to Germany?
>- - Where did the Kick Inside demos come from?

    From what I heard a former employee from EMI managed to sneek the demos
out, and had them made into a record. Of course, these are just rumours.

   Anyway, just a final thought about the demos.. Could 'You Were The Star'
on 'The Early Years' possibly be an early version of 'Hammer Horror'?

             Later folks,

                      Emmy.

Emmy May Lombaerts
lombaeg@mail.interpac.be
http://www.ping.be/~ping2242/emmy.html

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
'Caught a lite sneeze, dreamed a little dream, made my own pretty hate
machine' ~ Tori Amos
o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-