Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate / Tori

From: Modern Day Warrior <Trev@kolinahr.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 1996 22:33:08 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate / Tori
To: rec-music-gaffa@moderators.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

In article: <4f0k12$p32@daria.cdnow.com>  nbuchwa1@ix.netcom.com (Norman Buchwald) writes:
> As for me-- the more I listen to Tori's new album, the more I like it.
> And to be fully honest (prepared for flames) I can listen to Boys For
> Pele as a whole album, where I can't for The Red Shoes (I can only
> hear choice individual tracks).  But I'm getting tired of the
> comparisons, any way.  They're two artists that are at times (and not
> that often) on the same wavelength.

Agree entirely on your BfP/TRS comparison. BfP is a beautifully structured album, whereas TSW and
TRS both sound disjointed. They sound like 10 or so completely different songs, but I guess that is the
appeal of Kate. There is so big a gap between albums, that the albums do not capture one particular
mood, whereas BfP has certainlty caught Tori in a more acoustically bare/informal structure.
Led Zeppelin use to describe their albums as a 'snapshot in time', meaning it only showed where the
band/artist was at that particular moment. That is what makes great albums, the weaker tracks/songs are
made better if the listener loves the current style. With Kate, the last two albums have been so diverse in
their style that it is hard to appreciate them in total. Each have great songs, (Moments of Pleasure, This
Womans Work, Love and Anger), but also each album has its....dare I say 'Lower' moments, in which the
listener cannot appreciate the context of the song (Why Do I Love You?). Not so much a 'snapshot in time',
but ten selected snippets from the last four years. The KTB albums that do flow together (HoL and before)
definately seem to be the favourites;  maybe it is for these reasons?

--
"I Hear Their Passionate Music, Read The Words That Touch My Heart"- The Mission: RUSH