Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Never Be Mine and yes, Kate Versus Tori.. .

From: Emmy May Lombaerts <lombaeg@mail.interpac.be>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 1996 23:03:32 +0100
Subject: Never Be Mine and yes, Kate Versus Tori.. .
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hello everyone,

barnster <haha@ix.hell.com> wrote :

[Never Be Mine]
>I disagree that it is difficult to listen to.  It's one of the
>prettiest songs she's ever done.

      It's heartwrenchingly beautiful and very intense, and to me this *is*
the exact reason why I can't always listen to it. It's very deep and
emotional. Tori's 'Me And A Gun' has the same effect on me.

Then odsbodskin@aol.com (ODSbodskin) shuffled some up some more dirt on the
Kate/Tori-thing:

>   At first I liked Tori, and immediately noticed the Tori / Kate
>parallels; but after seeing Tori's Little Earthquakes video my opinion
>changed. The young Kate gave the impression of being a precocious genius who
>could distill literature and myth into 3 minute pop wonders. One could
>only imagine the experiences of a teenager who could perform such magic.
>She was WAY beyond anything we teenagers could envision.

     There was definitely something precocious and magical about the young
Kate.. In one way, she seemed  so very childlike and innocent, maybe even
naieve, but her work showed a sense of maturity, creativity, insight and
genius way beyond her tender years..

    Actually, I was amazed the other day.. If you compare the TV footage
from the 'Multi-coloured Swap Shop' and the 'Music Box Interview' for
example, it's almost hard to believe it's the same woman.. Gosh..

>Tori, on the other hand, especially after seeing the video, struck me
>as a sick little puppy writing sordid, self-centered melodramas. To put it
>bluntly, the video made me think Tori might be seriously insane!!!

     I disagree.. I love Tori on the 'LE'-video. Her honesty, her
kookiness.. I think she's wonderful.. And as for her being insane or not..
Well, to quote a sig, who stays sane in this world must be mad..

>   ( If I posted this on alt.music.alternative.female, I think I would
>need to have heavy duty fire-fighting equipment handy....But maybe I'm
>safe here in gaffa.)

        Hmmm, now where did I leave my virtual blowtorch? :)

                 Later folks,

                         Emmy.

Emmy May Lombaerts
lombaeg@mail.interpac.be
http://www.ping.be/~ping2242/emmy.html

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
'Caught a lite sneeze, dreamed a little dream, made my own pretty hate
machine' ~ Tori Amos
o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-