Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Trio Bulgarka

From: Glenn Duley Smith <smith@midsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 13:29:09 -0800
Subject: Re: Trio Bulgarka
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

On 30 Jan 1996, pDaleCampbell wrote:

> I finally picked up a copy of "Le Mystere de Voix Bulgares".  I got it
[..snip..]
> Just last week I was looking through the "used CD" bins and found it
> again--now I have it!  The cover is different, though.  I have seen
> talk of Vol. 1 and 2, but do not see any such indicator on the CD.
> The other one had a group picture on the cover, half-cropped and
> tilted.  The one I have has a painting of the back of one woman
> dancing in traditional garb.  The catalog # is 979165-2.  (Maybe that
> "dash 2" means Vol. 2?) And get this: "Mfd. for BMG Direct Marketing"!
[..more snip..]
> Any comments?

Oh yes.  I have comments.
Firstly, There are bunches of CD's to be found by Bulgarian female
vocal choirs.  The quality of the recordings vary, but the music is
all too wonderful.  Not sure which one you got, but I bet you liked
it  :)  SOme of these specifically seem to be albums by _Le Mystere
Des Voix Bulgares_, but even these (particularly vol.1 and vol.2)
contain recordings of various choirs.

But o o o! Hey, wait.  Listen to Vol. 1 of Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares,
track three.  Listen to Vol. 1 of Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares, track three.
"Kalimenkou Denkou"
I've had the record for, oh, six years, and it *STILL* makes me weepy.
I don't understand a single thing they're saying.  And I still
get all of a tearing-up.  :)

Simply the most beautiful recording on the planet.  Period.

Those Bulgarian folk writers used the most WONDERFUL chordal structures
and phrasings I've ever heard, and that track is the paragon.

my 2 bits,
Pogo
(smith@midsoft.com)