Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Lord of the Reedy River + Donovan

From: Wieland Willker <willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 14:49:44 -0100
Subject: Lord of the Reedy River + Donovan
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hello friends,
a while ago I posted an interview quote from a Donovan mag. where Kate
reveals that Donovan is indeed singing backing vocals on 'Lord of the Reedy
River'.

Recently I found another interview quote:

Kate: ...so far we have finished one single and the B-side, which is really
   great - a Donovan song. I've always wanted to do one of his songs, because
   I've admired his music and his voice for years. I decided to do this song
   and through a coincidence it started happening. Someone asked me what I was
   doing for the B-side while we were watching a Crystal Gayle show on TV. I
   was telling them I was going to do this Donovan song and all of a sudden
   Crystal Gayle said, '...and now my very special guest is Donovan' and you
   know we hadn't seen him on TV for years and years. It was really like it
   was right.
Sally: Fate.
Kate: Yes, and he came into the studio and did some backing vocals which is
   really great because I've always wanted to work with him.
            (Sally James' almost legendary pop interviews, Eel Pie 1981)

I think, this is interesting.
Best wishes
    Wieland

PS: In the same Sally James interview:

Sally: But you started writing when you were eleven. Where did the ideas
   for writing come from? It's quite unusual for people of that age to
   actually write songs.
Kate: Yes. I think a lot of it might have been to do with the things inside
   me and realizing how much pleasure music had given to other people I'd
   seen. Maybe it was because I had to play alone a lot.
Sally: Were you quite a solitary child then?
Kate: I had no friends of my own age until I went to school and those
   friends lived quite a way from me. And my brothers, who were a bit older
   than me, were out doing other things.
Sally: So you had to amuse yourself?
Kate: I spent a lot of time by myself.

******
PPS: Re the God-issue
  "Kate speaks with the voice of the Oneness, because she's just a little
closer to    God than the rest of us."
                                (John C. Bush)