Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Wait for Kate

From: Robb McCaffree <nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu>
Date: 27 Jan 1996 06:23:27 GMT
Subject: Re: Wait for Kate
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucsd.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

nbuchwa1@ix.netcom.com (Norman Buchwald) wrote:

Hey, Norm!

> A big hint to understanding Tori's poetry.  (and it isn't always going
> to work and sometimes not work for you right away).  Begin putting
> quotes around certain words, like "chickens" and "meat," for example.

The quotations only signify that these words are symbolic, which I
already knew. What I don't know is what these words are symbolic for,
and *this* is why the reviews have called this album "indulgent."
When the artist is layering lyrics for the benefit of her audience's
discovery, symbolism can mean whatever the listener wants it to mean,
and therefore is an enriching and rewarding writing tool. But when the
words used are, say, 'chickens' (a bug and grain-eating fowl) and
'meat,' (perhaps, as used in "Blood Roses," sexuality or body),
the symbolism is overwrought and...well, more annoying than enriching.

> I thought "Horses" was not long compared to "Mother."  Though I do
> admit that to make something earn its length like "Yes, Anatasia" is
> difficult.  And Tori may not be as successful on certain songs on this
> album.

I thought "Mother" and "Yes, Anastasia" were also indulgent, not due
to far-fetched symbolism, but because they are too long. The title
track of "LE" is a better example of how to use length, the long, slow
passages being broken up with some stirring angst-riddled grunge.

> >	It ain't "The Dreaming." It may be Tori's "The Dreaming" in
> >that it expands on her original piano-based songs in an experimental
> >format, but these songs are all still rock/pop songs.
>
> "Pop" songs?  Nah.  Take another listen to Y Tori Kant Read.  "Boys
> For Pele" don't contain pop songs.  The songwriting itself cannot even
> allow them to be so and this isn't "They Might Be Giants" melodies'
> hook, either.

We gotta agree to disagree, here. The songs on TD are indicative of
what I meant by "NOT pop." Just because I can't imagine Wilson Philips
doing a cover version of "Professional Widow" doesn't mean that the
songwriting transcends the genre of rock/pop. Except for "Gaffa" and
perhaps "Tenner," the songs on TD are completely out of the pop realm.

> the album, this is an album produced with art upon art over and over
> again.  The question should be did she do too much that it's almost
> indecipherable or is it too mind/emotional exhausting on the
> listener's part?

Eventually, when I've been able to separate all the melodies and
absorb some of the lyrics, I may come to appreciate the run time of
70 minutes.

(edited comments from me about the animals on the front cover,
including a chicken)

> it's a turkey, actually.  :)

Mmm, I think it's a rooster. Don't have the cover with me, but I think
there's a definite 'cockscomb' there, which turkeys lack.

(The album cover:)

> Emphasizes a general atmosphere of farm/south/redneck atmosphere in
> her photos.

Yeah, but...why? What does it have to do with BfP? Or any song on the
album? I *do* think it's interesting, however, that, if the creature
hanging from the rafters is indeed a cock, that all creatures featured
with Tori (including the pig!) are euphemisms for men or (ahem) our
genitalia.

> The feel of length helps her approach to make the album be like a novel.

Yes...War and Peace, I think.   :-)

> >	Agreed. But I also agree with Norman (for a limited time, and
> >not in conjunction with any other offer)
>
> Does this mean the offer has now expired?  :)

sccccrrrch. The number you have dialed has been changed or is
disconnected. Please recheck the number and try your call again.

> >	The incidence of 'Kateliness' on this album is actually less
> >than on previous albums. The single, "Caught A Lite Sneeze" has some
> >very Dreaming-ish African rhythms driving it, and some background
> >vocals that are reminiscent of "Mother Stands for Comfort."  At one
> >point, in the lead vocals, Tori sings 'Dreamed' much like Kate exhaled
> >"Houdini."
>
> I'll pretend I didn't see that.  You know better than that, Robb!  :)

Better than what? I didn't mention the EXTREEEMELY Kate-like vocals on
the 'Peaches and Cream' section of "Professional Widow," the 'Ooooooh'
section of "Hey Jupiter," the similar 'showtime feel' and theme of
"Mr. Zebra" to "Coffee Homeground" (strychnine, she's a friend of
mine?), the use of different times. rhythms and seemingly unrelated
melodies within one song throughout the whole album...crap. I guess I
*did* just mention it.    ;-)

> A lot of the elite are
> going to be tough on it (as Rolling Stone and the Los Angeles Times
> have).  But unlike Y Tori Kant Read, she's clearly more sure of
> herself as an artist.  So I think she will mostly be unphased.

Well...I hope she heeds them somewhat on their 'indulgent' comments.
Getting 'weird' is one thing. Getting boring is another.

Robb