Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sensual World, the music

From: Wieland Willker <willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 10:30:54 -0100
Subject: Re: Sensual World, the music
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hello friends,
Ellen van Neck wrote:

> Here in The Netherlands there is this Radio Programme "Peazens & Moddergat"
> (VPRO) where all different kinds of music are being "evaluated" in a very broad
> sense. It is on the radio from 05:00 - 07:00 in the morning.
> One day I woke up and heard the subject of the day was artists stealing from
> other artist. And they played The Sensual World!
> What was stolen? Well they played first TSW from Kate and immediately after that
> an similar song was played which was almost identical. It sounded a bit less
> "round" or "complete" (I am used to Kate's version). As far as I can remember it
> was said that this music was from Eastern European origin. There were no lyrics
> to this song.

I remember this! There was some discussion about it on LH. Give me 2 days and I dig it
out just for you. I remember, there was a guy from the Netherlands, who discovered the
tune from TSW and claimed Kate to be a cheat, or so. There is also a reply from Paddy
in one of the Newsletters admitting, that it is indeed a traditional tune. But I
remember this only vaguely, so wait 2 days please and I present an excerpt from the
archive.
Btw, is anybody ou there, who has this radio broadcast on tape? Get in touch, trade
welcome!

Best wishes
    Wieland
    S  R  I