Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Wait for Kate

From: Ronald.Girardin@Dartmouth.EDU (Ronald Girardin)
Date: 24 Jan 96 10:07:48 EST
Subject: Re: Wait for Kate
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

--- You wrote:
 I really don't understand how you can criticize this album already. It came
out yesterday. Most albums need at least a couple listens before all of the
subtle items can enhance the listening pleasure.
--- end of quoted material ---
I disagree.   Some albums (works of art) will hit me
like a ton of bricks!!!!!  Here are but a few examples:
  - Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
  - The dreaming - Kate Bush
  - Terrapin Station - Grateful Dead
  - Acquiring the Taste - Gentle Giant
  - hounds Of Love - Kate Bush
  - The Division Bell - Pink Floyd
  - The Walking - Jane Siberry
  - Stratosfear - Tangerine Dream

It often depends on the environment at the time you first
listen to an album.  I usually use headphones for a first
listen.  If you're going to be interrupted, then don't
listen to a new album.

If you need to several listens to appreciate an album,
it's probably because you need to be in a specific mood.
Otherwise the music just doesn't come across.

Perhaps Bryan wasn't "in the Mood" to listen to Tori.
Tori's music tends to be that way.

I haven't heard Boys For Pele yet....but I have bought
Caught a Lite Sneeze.  I didn't like it.  CALS is boring
and "un-original".  I'll buy her album today....
let's hope it gets better.

In anycase,  Kate's still the Goddess and tori can only
be an "angel" at best....  ;-)  IMHO, of course.

peace

ron