Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Wait for Kate

From: nbuchwa1@ix.netcom.com (Norman Buchwald)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 07:49:07 GMT
Subject: Re: Wait for Kate
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

I've tried posting this twice and the first twelve lines come up.  So
I'm trying to send this again.  I'm sorry if some of you end up
receiving this three times.

>Just a small piece of advise:
>	Wait for Kate

Since when was Tori Amos just another Kate Bush, anyway?  When Little
Earthquakes came out there were some reminisces of Kate's music that
made us rave about this album.  But looking back now, one has to
wonder.  Was she ever really in Kate Bush's shadow?    As a big fan of
both artists, I certainly am for their similarities, but also their
differences

>Do not buy the latest Tori Amos album (Boys for Pele)!
>What a disaster! OK maybe if you're a harden real Tori fan and like
>Tori music "just because", although this is not much like the others.
>I really quite like LE and UtP, but nothing on BfP sound like any will
>get in the top 100, perhaps "Doughnut song". If you *have* heard it
>what is "Professional Widow"? Grunge metal on a harpsichord?

I've heard it twice and I'm not really ready to comment yet.  And when
did Lovehounds (especially in the U.S.) buy anything just so it enters
the top 100?  I find it ironic you make that comment right when Tori
Amos charted the highest she's ever had with "Caught A Lite Sneeze."
But I promise, I won't try to sound like a Debbie Giddier on rmta.
<eyes rolling>  "Professional Widow" is certainly different.  I'm not
ready to dismiss it yet.  In fact, right from the first two listens,
this album seems to have ambition, at least, compared to "The
Dreaming."  (And I've only read about it, but I'm sure Lovehounds from
back then may remember the treatment "The Dreaming" got.)  No, I'm not
saying this is another "Dreaming."  I'm comparing ambitionm here.
I'll have to listen to it a few times to understand how "Boys For
Pele" is like a novel (that's how Tori has described that album).

>You don't have to much deal with reading the wordsheet, there are 2
>missing song words (titles, just no words printed, perhaps they're
>printed white on white). There are section of missing words (eg start
>of track 16), and extra lines that aren't sung.

Well, I give Atlantic Records a hard time in some ways.  And gosh, how
often I've read lyrics that don't mention what's said or what's sung
is different than what's printed from many artists.  As for the two
songs unprinted.  This is common practice, too.  And in this vein, I
think Tori had some intent, like white space.  Or maybe it's a song of
something that cannot be uttered so directly.  (What's unspoken but
there)

>You *might* wish to see the piglet! I'm sure the RSPCA (animal welfare)
>need to pay her a visit! or is it art? I hope the snake wasn't caught
>under the rocking chair. I hope the dead hanging chicken was eaten, and
>not just there for the photo. I also wonder what the cows were thinking,
>is Tori vomiting on that mattress?

I don't think the piglet actually did what the picture implies.  As
for the other comments, does this mean that Tori has to have the
politically correct phrase "No animals were harmed" on a record album,
now?  Come on!  The pictures are certainly strange.  Some of them have
echoes of Alice In Wonderland (the pig, the main example) and are
reminiscent of farm/redneck country (the general setting).  I'm not
sure what to make of them, yet.  They certainly catch my attention.
Are they "art"?  Every picture is certainly provocative and can be
seen on more than one level.  I don't see them as merely "shock value"
photos.

>Other thoughts: Has Angie Dickinson heard this?
>		Has Mr Sulu (George Takai) heard this?

>IMO rating: -1 out of 10 (without track 4, it'd be 0/10).

Bryan, the above line is confusing compared to what you've written
below.

I'm not ready to rate it yet.  I'll post my ratings in a week.

>I seriously recommend you hear it firstly via a friend, and decide
>that way if you really like her new style! Please skip track 4.

>			Bryan Dongray

Well I'm a big fan of both artists.  Would I recommend "Boys For Pele"
to Lovehounds?  Right now, I admire the ambition and some of the songs
rather do grab me ("Horses," "Blood Roses," "Hey Jupiter," "Not The
Red Baron," and "Father Lucifer").  If you are concerned, I recommend
taking at least two trips (separate ones) to a Blockbuster or any
other "listen before you buy" stores and hearing the album twice.  I
would call this album her most ambitious and her most experimental by
far (this was the first album produced solely by herself (at least the
most part, I have to double check)).  Right now, I'd give it at least
a 7.  That may rise or fall after later listens.  I doubt it'll go low
as Bryan rated it.  But Bryan has his tastes and his opinions (we had
some disagreements of Kate's stronger and weaker moments in the past,
after all).

The Storm

No one's picking up the phone
guess it's me and me