Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Pat Benatar!

From: Robb McCaffree <nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu>
Date: 15 Jan 1996 08:39:33 GMT
Subject: Pat Benatar!
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucsd.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

emg@equinox.ccs.unr.edu (Eugene Ghymn) wrote:

> does anyone know why Pat Benatar decided to cover "Wuthering Heights"?  i
> was thinking about it the other day, and it seemed kinda odd.  usually, a
> song is covered only if it's either old or as a tribute - but "Wuthering
> Heights" was only 2 years old when Benatar covered it on her 1980 album
> *Crimes of Passion*.

It is my opinion that Benatar was 'requested' by her record company to
record this song...and that her entire 'tough girl in tights' image
was a combination of Kate's 'Tour of Life' attire and Benatar's own
feisty, hard-rock stage persona.

I say this because I used to have a 'New Women In Rock' book that
chronicled both Benatar and Bush. One paragraph was talking about the
marketing of Benatar, and I paraphrase, "One Chrysalis executive
wanted her photographed in tights."

Another paragraph was devoted to Benatar's considerable vocal talents,
and I remember this almost verbatim, "Perhaps as an exercise, Benatar
covered Kate Bush's WH."

After her third album, Benatar was quoted in other sources as saying,
"I'm going to sing what I want to sing and wear what I want to wear."
She has never, to my knowledge, sung WH in concert, though it remains
a favorite of Benatar fans. Perhaps I'm making a huge leap, but all
the above makes me wonder if she ever *liked* the song.

> and "Wuthering Heights" wasn't even that big in the US!

Kate's WH was nonexistant in the U.S. -- only "The Man With The Child
In His Eyes" charted (#85) from her first four albums. Benatar's WH
was never released as a single (though it should've been!), but was
showcased on the three-million seller "Crimes of Passion."

> is it because Benatar is a fan of Kate's?  she does say the line "oooh, i
> can feel the kick inside" in her song "All Fired Up" - a possible
> reference?

The line is actually 'Gotta feel the kick inside' and has more to do
with the song's message of charging one's self up to attack life with
gusto. I doubt it's a Kate ref -- "Wide Awake In Dreamland" was
released almost ten years after TKI. Surely Benatar would've made a
reference earlier...or at least used a more current one like "The
Whole Story."

> and speaking of Pat, were her last two albums any good (Gravity's
> Rainbow, and i think the other one's called True Love or something like
> that)?  i have *In the Heat of the Night* to *Wide Awake in Dreamland*,
> which were good, but i've heard negative things about her last two.

"True Love" was Pat's 11-track blues album, for Pat or Blues fans
only. It's got some great moments on it -- such as "Bloodshot Eyes"
and the beautiful "So Long," but if you're like me and are into pops'
melodies over blues' rhythms, then this album will fail to 'hook' you.

I recommend "Gravity's Rainbow." The friends that I've lent the CD to
agree with me that, strangely, the first half is dull and muddled, but
that tracks 6 through 12 are brilliant! Pat's incredible voice is
showcased in all it's range and power, with some of the best songs
she's ever written/recorded. This album flopped commercially because
the two singles released were, you guessed it, from the first half.

She is now working on a new album, and has finally broken ties with
the (evil) Chrysalis. Don't know who her new record company will be,
but she is gearing up for a tour with Steve Miller. For more info:

http://www.southwind.net/~jcross/benatar/

or

http://www.netgate.net/~bmeier/benatar.html

Robb