Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "The Whole Story" CD-ROM

From: Ulrich Grepel <uli@zoodle.robin.de>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 96 22:37:56 +0100
Subject: Re: "The Whole Story" CD-ROM
To: Stephane.Jantzen@scinfo.u-nancy.fr (Stephane Jantzen)
cc: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hi Stephane!

you wrote:
> Right here in France, in my favourite music store, I saw " The Whole Story" in
> CD-ROM version, including the songs of the previous release, plus 5 or 6 songs
> from albums since '86, plus multimedia material. Can someone give me more
> details about this CD ?

Yes, of course! ;-)

This CD is actually 2 CDs. No, it is actually 2 Video-CDs. A Video-CD is
a special sort of CD-I that contains videos in MPEG format playable on

- CD-I players with MPEG-capability
- PCs with special software/hardware

I've listened/watched it once with a PC (Pentium-90 with software decoder)
in our office. The sound quality was way below what I would accept, the
picture quality wasn't too bad. Better than the audio at least. I don't
know (but would like to know) if hardware assisted decoding provides
one with better quality, especially sound quality.

The Multimedia stuff in addition to the videos on this CD is a control
program (read: graphical user interface) for the Video CDs, plus a
(very short ;-) ) discography which displays all the album covers but
nothing else. Of course there's also a credits page, but I'd say that
belongs to the player program and isn't really contents.

Bye,

Uli

--
"Ein 32-Bit-Betriebssystem fuer uns?" - "Wozu? Wir haben doch zwei mit 16."
[IBM ad promoting OS/2] "Bah, ich habe 4 mit 8!" [comment from Sven Wachter]