Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tori Copies Kate (a little...)

From: Robb McCaffree <NSRJM@NURSEPO.MEDCTR.UCLA.EDU>
Date: 9 Jan 1996 09:07:57 GMT
Subject: Tori Copies Kate (a little...)
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucsd.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Just wanted to pass onto lovehounds a little discussion that is taking place on rec.music.tori-amos:

>>>Did anyone notice that the background voices, and chanting in "Caught A
>>>Lite Sneeze" sound alot like the background voices that Kate Bush used on
>>>her album "The Dreaming."  Seriously, they sound kind'a familiar.

>>I thought that Tori's vocals themselves were The Dreaming-ish, when her
>>voice gets rough on the words Caught and Dream during a later part of the
>>song.  Sort of like the words Night and Like when Kate sings, the night
>>doesn't like it ...

>Unfortunately I haven't heard CaLS yet so I can't comment on THAT, but it
>wouldnt' be the first time there have been little quirks and sounds on
>her albums that are highly similar to Kate. How about "The Waitress"?
>Listen to the background vocal when Tori sings "But I believe in peace,
>bitch", it TOTALLY sounds like something off of "The Dreaming". However,
> want to add that it's probably just a coicidence, because Tori has said
>in interviews she's not too familiar with Kate's work.

Personally, I've listened to CaLS, and while I can see all the above,
the instrumentation is what I noticed. While it's hardly Kate-inspired
the drumbeats are very African and the (secondary) keyboards do sound
like something off of TRS -- Song of Solomon, maybe.

It's not as pop sounding as either Cornflake Girl or God...I don't
think it will swing Tori into mainstream popularity, at least not here
in the U.S.

Remember when Kate used to release an album every two years? I mean,
remember that one time Kate released an album after only two years?
sigh....

Robb