Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: O(+> and Kate Bush

From: chrisw@miso.wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 95 04:23:50 GMT
Subject: Re: O(+> and Kate Bush
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

  akmonday@uclink3.berkeley.edu     /     with a nicotine patch

>You're quite wrong. Prince does sing on this. You only have to listen to
>it, for God's sake! Lenny's on there too, in the backing vocals. (And a
>good job he does too).

   The 2nd lead vocal ("..the eye of wonder, the eye that sees, the "I"
that loves you...") is, in fact, Lenny Henry. "The Self-Obssesed Wanker
Formerly Known as Prince" (thanks Stev0!) did background vocals but only
"...of all the people in the world..." is clearly him. The rest of the
"...why should I love you..." fade-out is Kate doing a Prince-like call
and response.

  One interesting note: Squiggle is credited simply as "Prince." Nice
to know that he only insists on that nonsense to annoy the press.

  One other thing: personally Lenny Henry isn't (to my ears) imitating
Prince on this track. He's imitating the sort of chorus that Steely Dan
often used, particulary on the album _Aja_, and in particular the track
_Peg_. The vocal arrangement sounds like a homage to the "...it's
your favorite foreign movie..." chorus. Kate has often mentioned _Peg_
as a one of her favorite songs.

--
Chris Williams of
Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago