Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Why Must There Be A Debt to Kate Bush? (Was: Lisa Germano, Debt To Kate?, Continuing Story of KB and Tori)

From: jbuchwald@huey.csun.edu (Norman Buchwald)
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 20:28:55 GMT
Subject: Re: Why Must There Be A Debt to Kate Bush? (Was: Lisa Germano, Debt To Kate?, Continuing Story of KB and Tori)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

dmckiern@weber.ucsd.edu (Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan) wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Dec 1995, Stephen M. H. Braitman wrote:

>> leaders.  I like Tori Amos, as well as Lisa Germano, Jewel, Rebecca Moore
>> and several others, all who have talent, ideas, and original vision. But
>> they definitely come out of  Kate Bush's original liberating inspiration.

>Eh?  Just =what= has Lisa Germano derived from Kate Bush?

>          It's always Dark.  Light only hides the Darkness.

I just heard Jewel for the first time the other day.  Really liked it.
Of course, given some time, a powerful artist's influence will be
felt.  But none of these artists mentioned above (the same goes for
Happy Rhodes, too) should be in debt to Kate Bush.  They've all been
influenced in one way or another.  There's a difference between
influence and debt (and prodigy for that matter).  Like Kate, herself
wasn't influenced by other artists?  Kate was/is one artist to have
the strong insight to fuse quality art with rock in her own way.  By
now, I would argue Tori Amos is already making a creative niche of her
own and is already beginning to influence others from her own style of
music.  It's probably a continuation of a general style of female
artists that Kate has put in a big contribution and especially
pioneered, but there's no prodigies here with the artists we're
mentioning, I think.  I haven't heard Lisa Germano, yet, but I am
curious if she's to be compared to Kate, at least.

Stormin' Norman

P.S.:  Poll results will appear before the end of the year, and
hopefully before Christmas.  I promise.