Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Roy Harper albums

From: christy@rschp2.anu.edu.au (Andrew Christy)
Date: 19 Dec 1995 07:22:27 GMT
Subject: Roy Harper albums
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

nessus@mit.edu (Douglas Alan) wrote:

>In article <m0tO9mt-000G29C@zoodle.robin.de> uli@zoodle.robin.de
>(Ulrich Grepel) quoted a source whose name has been lost:
>
> > Anyway, any recommendations as to the best Roy album to get next?
>
>I think that Roy's best album is *Whatever Happened to Jugula?* You
>might find it filed under Jimmy Page, because he played electric
>guitar on the album.

No way. Jugula is excellent if:

  1. You are a Jimmy Page Fan (these days, incidenatlly, Roy is accompanied
  on tour by his sone Nick who plays in a similar style but better).

  2. You need a giant kleenex-size box in which to keep your Rizla-papers-
  for-Special-Occasions.

  I find it a bit OTT myself.

  The duet with KT on 'The Unknown Soldier' is one of the sexiest things
  on record anywhere. It also features Dave Gilmour, and the album has a
  Roy-dominant version of 'Short and Sweet', which DG recorded for his
  1st solo album. 'The Unknown Soldier' is probably the best start for
  KT or Pink Floyd fans.

  Basically, 99% of all Roy albums are excellent if you like his sound
  (Big-sounding Ovation semi-acoustic guitar and plaintive-to-angry ballads
  sung in strong Lancashire accent). I'm most attached to the 'Stormcock'-
  'Falt, Baroque and Beserk'-'Lifemask' period ('70-'72) . Having said
  which, his recent albums 'Once' and 'Death or Glory' are pretty damn good..

  Anyway: back on topic & engaging lurking circuitry...

				    Andy C