Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sensual World: new thought on "noise burst"

From: Andrew Gough <agough@primenet.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 1995 23:13:08 -0700
Subject: Sensual World: new thought on "noise burst"
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hi All,
     I've recently been listening to the song "The Sensual World" and
think I've heard a piece of it in a new way.
     I'm speaking about a small sound the occurs between the wedding
bells and the beginning of the music.  Right in the gap one is a short
noise that I thought previously was a short burst of noise (like a
"bssst")--which really annoyed me as a very audible example of poor
engineering on the album.
     However, I've recently heard it in a new way.  It now sounds like
an intentional sound.  It sounds like a "swop" or "swip" sound--like
the sound one makes when swishing a switch (i.e., a thin tree branch)
or similar object (sword, dowel rod, cardboard tube, etc.) through the
air.  I believe I also hear this sound a points later in the song (but
less distinct).
     So now I'm thinking the "swop" is intentional--perhaps as a way
of signaling the beginning of the music.  Imagine someone swinging a
sword quickly from vertical to horizontal to indicate "begin".  The
song then has a new construction:  wedding bells--swop--(transition,
begin)--music starts.

Regards,
Andy

Andy Gough                      |      "Knowledge is power."
Internet: agough@primenet.com   |                -- Francis Bacon
ICBM: 33^18'29" N  111^48'39" W |