Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate on MuchMusic

From: nplains@passport.ca (Steve Sauder)
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 1995 18:11:37 -0500
Subject: Re: Kate on MuchMusic
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

In article <199512160501.AAA23659@news2.compulink.com>,
salorake@idirect.com (Ken Saloranta) wrote:

> As well, a friend has an audio tape of The Line, The Cross... songs with
> interviews and fan commentary from the same timeframe.  It was taped from
> CFNY (102.1) here in Toronto and was very good.

Hi all!

I was one of the people lucky enough to win tickets from CFNY to see the
Canadian premiere of |+( here in Toronto.  It was the only thing I ever
won from CFNY, but what a thing to win if it's gonna be your only thing!!!

Kate herself was there, got briefly up in front of the crowd (I was in the
second row - even on stage she looked so tiny!) and thanked us all, then
retreated to the back of the theatre as the film was shown.

It had been put about quietly that she would be giving an interview (the
one mentioned above) at CFNY after the show, so en masse we went to their
Bloor & Bathurst St. studios (it's quite an affair, for those who aren't
Torontonians, a street-level glassed in studio where they have quite a lot
of celebrity interviews and the like...).

I can't tell you how disappointed we all were (there were about 150 of us
gathered outside the studio) to arrive and find the windows had been
*papered over* at the request of EMI Canada!!!  And - guards had been
stationed at the door!!! Can you believe it?

Despite this (you can bet if Nirvana or somebody like that was inside that
papered-up studio there would have been a riot - but KB fans are so much
better mannered...), we all remained calm, and took turns peering through
a tiny rip in the paper (if you can believe it!) to get a glimpse of Kate,
doing the interview (which was being piped out onto the street so we could
hear her even if we couldn't see her...) - and smoking BTW...

After about 15 minutes of the interview, we managed to get a hurried
petition signed by all the people present, and slipped it in to Kate via
one of the door guards who also thought the paper was a bit stupid - and,
at the next commercial break, KATE HERSELF CAME OVER AND RIPPED THE PAPER
DOWN OFF THE WINDOWS!

Well, I can tell you, we all went quite mad with cheering and waving and
all that, and she smiled quite beautifully at us, waved and then went back
to the interview.  She spent the rest of the time talking on the radio,
smoking and waving at us making fools of ourselves outside the window.  A
friend of mine had a video camera and caught some great moments on tape.

In any case, it was a truly wonderful experience for me.  This was my
first chance to see the lady in person.  She seemed quite down-to-earth,
as she was dressed in jeans and sneakers and a black leather jacket.  And
that smile!!!  I've been a fan since 1982, and I've always thought that
Kate had a warm smile in the photos I've collected, but to actually be in
the way of one of those grins is a totally different thing, indeed.

Anyhow, just thought I'd put in my two cents about the interview.  Despite
the fact that the over-paid executives at EMI Canada made total idiots out
of themselves (and I did hear quite a bit of flak on CFNY about the
papered-up window lunacy over the next week), it was a truly memorable
experience.

Best Regards,
Steve.
Steve Sauder                              nplains@passport.ca
North Plains Systems Inc.                  905.272.9186 phone

"The whims that we're weeping for,
our parents would be beaten for." - Kate Bush