Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: -- + ~

From: "Forward, Jonathan" <JForward@sitgbsd1.telecom.com.au>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 95 11:40:00 EST
Subject: Re: -- + ~
To: "rec.music.gaffa" <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>
Encoding: 34 TEXT
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

  >  Subject: Re: --  +  ~
  >  Date: Thursday, 14 December 1995 12:34PM

[snip]
  >  I guess like so many longtime fans, I always have ridiculously high
  >  expectations of anything to do with Kate.  She has inspired and
astounded
  >  me so many times with her giant talent and her beautiful spirit.  And
by
  >  setting her such a high place in my esteem, it is inevitable that I
will
  >  sometimes feel let down when she proves to be just a brilliant woman
who
  >  is capable of very human ego trips and unfulfilled potential.

 Funny, but I get the same sensation every time I put a Kate video on -
 Welcome to Kate's Amateur Hour. In comparison with her music, which
 is of course always good, frequently brilliant and sometimes
 transcendental, her other creative efforts seem, for the most part, to be
 less than awe-inspiring. There are some highlights - the videos for Sat In
 Your Lap or Experiment IV for instance, but I can't say I'm hanging out for
 a film  of The Ninth Wave. Not that I'm unappreciative, or I wouldn't have
 bought the videos, but when I just listen to her music and feel those
feelings,
 well, I don't get the same feelings when I watch the videos. When I think
of
 minor talents like Paula Abdul (Middle Eastern video) and Janet Jackson
 (leaping around the world video - don't ask me the names of the songs)
 making sumptuous videos which supersede their musical talents by light-
 years, or real talents like Peter Gabriel and Bjork making amazing videos
 on a par with their musical abilities, I can't help wondering what is
holding
 Kate back. Hmmm, I think I'll go and shoot myself now if that's alright.