Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Coffee Homeground (oh no, not again...)

From: Rolf.Peukert@Theoinf.TU-Ilmenau.DE (Rolf Peukert)
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 95 15:02:37 +0100
Subject: Coffee Homeground (oh no, not again...)
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

[sorry if you have to read this the second time, but it seems like my
first follow-up (posted 12/12/95, 11:19) got lost on it's digital journey
round the globe ...]

Hello again,

Thanks to all of you who answered my question, which turned out to be quite
difficult, but your suggestions have been a great help. I played the track
also to my colleagues in office. They suggested "dann sterb' ich wohl" (i'll
die then). Btw: the previous line was identified as 'Mir schmeckts wunderbar'.
Now we have a lot of words to choose from:

    und     steh    ich     noch
    ich     stell   licht   nun
    dann    sterb   -ig     wohl
    dein                    nur

It's hard construct a sentence that makes sense with this words.

Yesterday i listened for almost half an hour to a 6-second-loop of the line
in question, but that didn't help. And played backwards it makes no sense
either.

So i summarized what i know about the song:

The main voice is sung by a person who thinks that he/she is being poisoned.

I suppose the background voice is the suspect:
She offers the potential victim a drink, points out how good it tastes and ...
a toast would be appropriate here.

It's obviously not "Prost" (cheers), but "(Auf) dein Wohl" (Your health)
is closer. So i think it could be "Dein stetig Wohl" or "Dein staendig Wohl"
(Your steady health). This would fit in the context and it roughly matches
the vocals.
There's just one problem: I've never heard that line here in Germany.
Is "Your steady health!" a common toast in English?

(Perhaps that line isn't German at all. Anybody tried French ?  :-)

Bye,
     Rolf