Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Delius via Kate

From: jgower@mhc.mtholyoke.edu (Jeff Gower)
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 15:27:36 -0500
Subject: Delius via Kate
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Back in 1978 or 1979, when I was a freshman in college, I saw Kate on
Saturday Night Live (her first American performance) perform "Them Heavy
People" and "The Man With a Child in His Eyes".  It was all I needed to
become a fanatic.  The first few LPs I got ("Kick Inside" and "Lionheart")
were expensive imports because no one knew who she was over here in the
USA.  Anyway, to get to the topic here - As you all know, she sang about
the composer Frederick Delius ("Delius").  At the time, I had only heard a
few short pieces by Delius, but when I saw that Kate liked him, I checked
out more of his work.  Today, after 16 or so years, I still like Kate's
music.  But I really love the music of Delius!  I suggest you try out some
of his music, like his orchestral tone poems or his masterpiece "A Mass of
Life" based on the writings of Nietzsche.  The guy was a genius indeed.
Thanks Kate!

Jeff