Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: coffee background question

From: Ulrich Grepel <uli@zoodle.robin.de>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 95 21:32:00 +0100
Subject: Re: coffee background question
To: Rolf.Peukert@Theoinf.TU-Ilmenau.DE (Rolf Peukert)
cc: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hi Rolf!

> [my third attempt to post here: this time i've taken the ultimate step -
> i've read the FAQ]

Thanks ;-)

> almost all my questions about Kate Bush's music were answered by the FAQ
> and the excellent archives Cloudbusting and The Garden, but some remain:

Thanks again! ;-)

> this question is aimed at the other german readers of this newsgroup,
> but probably the english love-hounds know the answer as well:
>
> i still can't figure out what the background voice is saying at the end
> of Coffee Homeground. The FAQ says:
>
> >        This song features two lines (one repeated again) in German, but
> >        it's not as prominent as in Hello Earth.  The lines read "Es schmeckt
> >        wunderbar" (it tastes wonderful) and "Noch ein Glass mein
> >        Liebchen/Liebling" (another glass, my darling).
>
> but that's what i hear (Lionheart CD, EMI UK):
>
> 2:49	Noch ein Glass, mein Liebchen
> 3:02	Es schmeckt wunderbar
> 3:09	[???? (4 syllables)]
>
> The last line isn't a repetition of one of the lines above. At first i thought
> she says "Entschuldigung", but listening again (over headphones), i realized
> that it's probably something else. Does anybody know what?

Not "know", but as far as I can figure out, she says:

"Es schmeckts wunderbar" (1st time)
            ^
            +------ this is wrong and doesn't belong there, nevertheless
                    it's clearly audible.

"Es schmeckt wunderbar" (2nd time)
                   ^^^
                   +++---- this is almost inaudible

Obviously the two phrases aren't the same recording repeated, but nevertheless
I think it's the same sentence. Remember that Kate doesn't speak German and
as such won't pronounce this perfectly - neither the first nor the second
time.

All this is obviously only my very own opinion.

Bye,

Uli

--
"Ein 32-Bit-Betriebssystem fuer uns?" - "Wozu? Wir haben doch zwei mit 16."
[IBM ad promoting OS/2] "Bah, ich habe 4 mit 8!" [comment from Sven Wachter]