Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Rocket's Tail

From: nessus@mit.edu (Douglas Alan)
Date: 02 Dec 1995 05:36:45 GMT
Subject: Rocket's Tail
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Here is the text of a letter I have just mailed off to the KBC.  I
thought you might find it amusing:

I have the privilege of working for MIT on a NASA project known as XTE
(X-ray Timing Explorer).  XTE will be an orbiting telescope that will
search for cosmic X-ray sources, such as black holes, neutron stars,
white dwarves, and active galactic nuclei.  XTE is currently scheduled
to be launched on a Delta rocket in just a few days (December 10th).
Being in a position of some responsibility, I have snuck into the
flight software ROM a line from a song by Ms. Bush!

The "flight software ROM" is a read-only memory chip that is an
essential component of the telescope and it will be launched into
orbit along with the rest of the satellite.  The text of the secret
message that is hidden within the ROM is

	"Peek-a-boo little Earth" --Kate Bush

Knowing Ms. Bush's penchant for secret messages, I thought she might
appreciate having a secret message by her launched into space and put
into orbit around the Earth.  This is the least I could do in return
for all the moments of pleasure her music has given me over the years.

Sincerely,