Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Fruitopia!

From: kln@a.crl.com
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 14:13:10 -0800
Subject: Fruitopia!
To: E.L.Brookfield@mmu.ac.uk
Cc: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hi Esther,

Since you seem to have missed the past year and a half of discussion on
rec.music.gaffa, here's the scoop on Fruitopia:

Kate did at least 12 pieces of music for the Fruitopia campaign.  Eleven
confirmed pieces have been aired in the U.S. as part of a massive commercial
campaign.  I believe eleven of these are available in video form on the Total
Tape Integration video, circulated free this summer within the rec.music.gaffa
community.  If you are interested, post a polite request on r.m.g and I'm sure
someone will be happy to make you a copy. There are PAL copies circulating in
Europe.  It's free, all you have to do is supply a blank and pay postage.

Fruitopia has two 60-second ads which are intended to run in theatres.  One of
them is on the tape; the other is available for downloading from the people who
created the whole campaign, at the Click3X web site. I don't have the web
address right here, but you can find it in a Yahoo search. It is a darned big
file (6 MB), so be prepared.

The UK campaign for some reason added a spot with Liz the magnificent singing,
which I've only seen once in the U.S., and she didn't seem to be wailing at all,
so there may be TWO Liz spots.

So that's the scoop.  We've spent the past two summers in an intesive Fruitopia
watch as we tried to capture the videos on tape -- people were posting what
shows Fruitopia was sponsoring (such as Star Trek DS9) and we'd man the VCRs,
trying to capture those babies during commercial breaks.  Our own IED, guardian
of the sacred faith, was able to get most of the Fruitopia ads.

It seems like Fruitopia is going to add new flavors, so maybe more Kate music
will surface.  In the Iced Tea campaign they re-used some of the earlier pieces,
so they may be out of stuff.

Later,  Karen kln@a.crl.com