Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Cloudbusting Video, Touring

From: Norman Buchwald <jbuchwald@huey.csun.edu>
Date: 29 Nov 1995 22:41:52 GMT
Subject: Re: Cloudbusting Video, Touring
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

kln@crl.com wrote:

>Oregon is truly beautiful, mountainous, green and forested -- and volcanic!  I haven't
>ever hit a part of it with green rolling treeless hills like in the video -- Oregon hasn't
>been settled long enough to be that deforested.  Neither has Maine, which is where
>Orgonon is actually located (outside a town called Rangely.)  I've seen pictures
>from Wilhelm  Reich's property in Orgonon, which is probably one of the most
>magnificent and  beautiful places on Earth.  The top of at least one hill on the
>property is cleared  and gives a view across the mountains.
>
>My friends stopped there a few years ago and visited.  They went up and played around
>with the cloudbusting machine on exhibit, and though it isn't supposed to be functional
>anymore, a storm  immediately came up over the hill behind them and started raining . . .
>coincidence?

Hi, Karen.  I just wanted to congratulate you for getting published in
the Paris Review.  Quite a feat.  As a writer who for the time being, is
relying more on the little little magazines, I know how difficult it is
to make it all the way, especially if you got published without an agent
(and of course, you can't get a good agent until you're published.  :)
)

Like all writers, you're good at telling a story, too.  :)  You made me
believe, and hope that dreams can come true right with this post.  Let
alone made me want to visit both Oregon and Orgonon.  (Did you all know
that "Organon" its similar word has a meaning something like questing for
a perfect dream state or something like that?  Argh.  It's been almost
ten years since I looked up the word, after my first few listens of
"Cloudbusting"  :)  Of course, "gaffa" has other meanings, too.  :)  And
I think Kate's aware of that!

>RE: Kate touring . . . didn't someone from Sony post a long time ago that when Kate
>was considering touring for TRS she had also thought of doing a piano tour, but was
>talked out of it because of inevitable comparisons to Ms. Amos?
>
>Damn the critics!  They're just breathing up the good air . . . she should do it anyway!

Usually critics act the other way around, too, when they give Tori a hard
time, for having any similarity to Kate (or Sarah).  I'm rather tired of
it.  They think that a comparison and contrast has to be like a freshman
comp essay where the teacher expects a bias.  Why does there have to be a
bias who's better?  Who's style of music is rightly theirs?  If it wasn't
for all these critics, maybe Kate and Tori could actually speak to one
another and admire one another's works.  Rather than the need to
distance.

>Karen  kln@a.crl.com   . . . ellipses anyone?

 . . and I really love ellipses, they . . .

                                                        Stormin' Norman

                                        We all have a dream . . . maybe?