Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Trio Bulgarka

From: cbullard@HiWAAY.net (Len Bullard)
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 1995 18:04:22 -0600
Subject: Trio Bulgarka
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

[Simon T.]

>If Kate ever went on tour, I think that the Trio Bulgarka should be
>with her, as well as backing vocalists.  She should bring the
>Bulgarian Female Vocal Choir, can you imgaine what "Rocket's tail"
>would sound like!!!!!!!!  I think I would die a happy Katephile.

I'd be happy too, but the expense....  Rocket's Tail ain't my fav,
but it's an interesting adaptation of a different sound.  To me,
it sounds contrived, but that's just one opinion.  It is good work.

>Does anyone here but me like Bulgarian vocal singing....I love the
>Trio Bulgarka's solo recordings and the recordings under the name of
>"Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares".  They are incredible.

I got the "Le Mystere" CDs a few years back.  Fabulous sound, and
impossible to duplicate.  Inspiring.

They did a piece on ABC news about 1990 or 91 about
the Bulgarian singers and they interviewed Kate.  She was quite
depressed.  It seems she was being savaged by critics
for "strip mining" the cultures of others for pop,
which is the same stupid bit that was done to Paul Simon
for his work with the South African groups.  OTH,
interviews with the strippees indicated that they were happy with
the attention the pop stars earned them, and proud to work with
international personages such as Kate and Paul.

Had Kate not brought them to my attention, I would not own
those CDs.

len