Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: No Kate, but no Marmite, either! Instead, it's cookies!

From: chrisw@miso.wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 95 17:56:09 GMT
Subject: Re: No Kate, but no Marmite, either! Instead, it's cookies!
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

>Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan <dmckiern@weber.ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
>>The cookie message story is an urban legend.  A guy on RIME actually
>>made an exhaustive investigation of the story.  OtOH, a friend who
>>made the cookies said that they're =really= good.
>
>We're even closer than that!
>Exactly the same cookie story appeared right here on LoveHounds a couple
>of winters back. I think it was around christmas -93. I'll have to consult
>the archives to make sure of the date, but I clearly remember the story.
>
>Chris (as in Chris n' Vickie) declared it a made-up story.

    ...and I got my information from the mother of all newsgroups,
alt.folklore.urban-legends. It has been proved completely false.
But it has more staying power than Craig Shergold's need for
postcards. If it's cookie recipes you want, check out Clifford
Stoll's _The Cookoo's Egg_.

>That would be round about the same months I first referred to MTV as
>eMpTyVee. (Was I really the one who first used that expression here on
>LoveHounds?) Now when I think about it I realise it's spelled 'wee' and not
>with a 'V'. But then, It really doesn't matter. MTV sucks because they
>don't show enough Kate!

   Yeah, I love that spelling. I think I picked it up on alt.music.video.