Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate Boots

From: kln@a.crl.com
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 11:39:46 -0800
Subject: Kate Boots
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

I find it hard to think that someone who wasn't interested in the development of
Kate's work would buy the Cathy Demos.  When I'm looking through record bins at
unfamiliar artists I'm more likely to buy something that I've seen an ad for,
heard about from a friend, etc.

I'd be unlikely to pick up something with a color xeroxed cover, from a record
label like "Ugly Pigs" or "Pickled Bobbits" or "Rip Off Schemists" or whatever
those guys call themselves.

Thinking back, when it became obvious that the Demos were going to be
circulated, it would have been a smart move by KBC to offer the recordings as a
free bonus cassette with their official magazine.  They would have instantly
foiled the bootleggers, who wouldn't have made any money, and would have
retained control over the quality of what got released.  They could even have
distributed them in small groups of five songs over a period of several years,
delighting Kate's fans with rare collector's items.

Yet another lost opportunity. . . perhaps someone needs a marketing manager . .

Karen    "Nothing is legible.  Everything is perplexing."  Hassan the Scrivener