Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Questionnaire

From: Magnus Stromgren <masstn95@student.umu.se>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 95 16:08:02 -0800
Subject: The Questionnaire
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net, jbuchwald@huey.csun.edu

Is it to late? I hope not!

*1) Top twenty Kate Bush songs*

1. Cloudbusting
2. Night of the Swallow
3. Army Dreamers
4. Wuthering Heights
[For the record, I prefer the 1986 version
slightly.]
5. Running Up that Hill (A Deal with God)
6. Never be Mine
7. Oh England My Lionheart
[In my opinion, this is Kate's most successful
ballad-like song. However, *perhaps* she should
have lowered her range *a bit* in the chorus.]
8. Big Stripey Lie
[This avantgarde effort, in the vein of the The
Dreaming album, is a true masterpiece.]
9. The Song of Solomon
10. Symphony in Blue
[Kate moves into the realm of mainstream melodic
pop/rock, and the outcome is this terrific song.]
11. Rocket's Tail (For Rocket)
[Extremely powerful stuff, with the Trio Bulgarka
used to great effect.]
12. In Search of Peter Pan
[Although Lionheart as a whole perhaps isn't as
satisfying as her other albums, many individual
songs are really good--and seem kind of under-
rated. In Search of Peter Pan is among them. The
haunting melody, the poignant lyrics and the
excellent production makes for a tremendous song.
Nevertheless, in the 1994 convention poll (top
100) it ended up at place 72, far below even
Reaching Out ;).]
13. Moving
[Typical of the early "literal romantic
style"--and brilliant stuff.]
14. The Fog
15. And So Is Love
16. Get Out of My House
[Similar in style to Leave it Open, but more
elaborate.]
17. Under the Ivy
[This beautiful non-album song is highly
appreciated, and rightly so.]
18. The Infant Kiss
19. Playing Canasta
[...Or whatever. But I can hardly imagine Kate
christening this gem to Rinfi the Gypsy. And if
so, why not Geoffrey the Gardener? ;).]
20. Constellation of the Heart
[Kate explores a (for her) new musical territory
to great effect.]

N.B. 1: The exact positions are somewhat
arbitrary. However, these are my favourite songs.]

N.B. 2: What about The Ninth Wave? Well, seen as a
whole, I would have placed it somewhere in the
middle of the chart. Seen as indivudual songs (as
I understand they must be considered in this
poll--and that seems quite reasonable) none really
make the top twenty.

*2) Top three Kate Bush videos*

1. Cloudbusting
2. Running Up that Hill (A Deal with God)
3. The Sensual World

*3) Favourite Kate Bush album*

The Dreaming
[For some reason, this album appears to be greater
than the sum of its parts. But had I been able to
count Hounds of Love as one album, the decision
had been much more difficult. (Thanks Norman for
making it more easy for me ;).)]

*4) Question to ask Kate*

"What's 'the whole story' about your early,
officially unreleased (but unofficially partially
released) recordings?"

*5) Least liked Kate Bush song*

Reaching Out
[This is the only genuine misfire of Kate's
glorious career. The song explores a theme similar
to that in All We Ever Look For, but the result is
far less satisfying. Between a Man and a Woman,
that many doesn't seem to appreciate that much,
does perhaps not represent one of Kate's better
moments, but with Reaching Out it can compete.
(Reaching Out doesn't fit in that well with the
context of the album, either--at least
musically.)]

*6a) Favourite song that Kate Bush has covered*

Lord of the Reedy River
[Unfortunately, I haven't heard Donovan's original
version.]

*6b) Favourite Kate Bush album/single cover*

The Dreaming
[The cover of The Red Shoes is also pretty
stunning.]

*7) Favourite Kate Bush guest appearance*

Don't Give Up
[Caveat: I haven't heard that many.]

*8) How much to pay for attending a Kate Bush
concert*

$100
[Me, a cheapskate ;)? Anyway, somehow I would have
preferred seeing Kate in concert in an earlier
stage of her career. On the other hand, I didn't
know about Kate until 1992 ;).]

*9) Favourite Kate Bush line*

"Watching the whipers / washing the leaves away"
(off Full House)
[I mailing this one, too; I don't bother to make
two versions of the answer ;).]

*10) Other favourite artists, etc.*

Other artists: Tori Amos, Suzanne Vega, Peter
Gabriel, Jane Siberry, Sarah McLachlan (why is
Sarah's last name so often misspelled? ;) ),
Laurie Anderson ... Queensrÿche, Iron Maiden,
Mötley Crüe.

Special mention: Irene Cara for the magnificient
song "Flashdance ... What a Feeling", as heard in
Adrian Lyne's movie "Flashdance", starring
Jennifer Beals.

Actresses: Tracey Gold (Carol Seaver in the ABC
sitcom "Growing Pains" (1985--1992)); Heather
Langenkamp (Nancy Thompson in Wes Craven's modern
horror classic (well, perhaps not ;) ) "A Night-
mare on Elm Street" (1984)).

TV: "Beverly Hills 90210"; "Growing Pains";
"Degressi Junior High"/"Degrassi High"; "Ready or
Not".

Watching the Simpson trial (courtesy of Sky
News--or is it *SKY* News?) was also great fun, as
long as it lasted--and that was a while, wasn't
it? Roll over, "LA Law"! (By the way, the
translated Swedish title of "LA Law" is "The
Angels of the Law".)

Authors: I mostly read non-fiction. Having said
that, Gunnar Ekelöf is a great Swedish poet (whose
works may be at least partially translated into
English); J.R.R. Tolkien is a great storyteller.
Carl Sagan's "Contact" (due to become film) is a
great science-fiction novel.

Well, that's it!

Magnus Stromgren
(masstn95@student.umu.se)
Umea, Northern Sweden

[I'm in the process of setting up my own WWW home
page. It'll be really fun to include it (i.e. its
address) in my signature (file). Unfortunately,
it's not much to speak about yet.]