Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

re: Witches of Eastwick

From: kln@crl.com
Date: 27 Oct 1995 04:35:00 GMT
Subject: re: Witches of Eastwick
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>  W of E is based *very* closely on John Updike's
>  novel of the same name.  More difficult to read than watch, it is still
>  the same thing.

WARNING! Personal opinion follows!  Hazard suits required!

Brilliant novel becomes B movie.  Come on, a giant, fat Jack Nicholson
looking in the window?  Barfo. Okay, all the female actors were good,
but as often happens with movies, they took an elegant piece of art and
turned it into lumpy oatmeal (or marmite), then put those rainbow
sprinkles on it to try and fool everyone into thinking it is a cupcake. Sort
of the "if it's funny they'll think it's good and no-one will notice we gutted
the story of any real serious meaning or thought" school of filmmaking.

But I'm willing to alter my opinion if someone can enlighten me!

Karen  kln@a.crl.com