Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate Bush tribute album

From: btd@carina.cray.com (Bryan Dongray)
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 1995 22:30:08 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Kate Bush tribute album
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

On Sun, 22 Oct 1995 07:53:43 -0400 mfgr@bart.nl (Marcel Rijs) wrote:
> I am calling, yet again, for people reading this to record a version of one
> of their favourite Kate Bush songs (this may be a cappella, MIDI, with a
> band or solo, whichever way you see possible) and sending the recording to me.

Do you know I've done a few (3 so far, working on no 4) Kate Bush songs
onto MIDI, by transcribing from the "Off The Record" complete instrument
sheet music, with minor adjustments to make them sound as close as possible
to the original (OK, MIDI doesn't have any way of "voice", but I use an
instrument that plays the melody with a sound as close to Kate as I think,
from what is available).

If anyone is interested go to:
	http://actor.cs.vt.edu/~wentz/index.html
if you can for the files (some other great stuff too).
Or ftp from a major MIDI site. Look in:
	HOST	ftp.cs.ruu.nl
	DIR	/pub/MIDI/SONGS/POP
	FILES
		armydrea.zip
		babushka.zip
		cldbstng.zip
If you really need me to, I can email them to you (optionally pkzip'd,
and uuencoded). I have a few Tori Amos MIDI'd too, if anyone's interested.

I guess I should be working on something begining with D (eg Delius)
but until I find the complete music book, I'll carry on with what I
have, although it should be a little faster now the nice sunny weather
has gone.

A few people who've written back to me on these have said they're
pleased how true to the original these are. So as for being a "cover"
this would be a bit of a "cheat" in my mind, but it's nice to have my
computer playing Kate, and not occupying gigabytes of wave file. I guess
my next purchase should be a CD drive for it, well until then...

			Bryan Dongray