Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Man with the VRML in his eyes

From: cbullard@HiWAAY.net (Len Bullard)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 08:04:19 -0500
Subject: The Man with the VRML in his eyes
To: stev0@zuni.chaco.com
Cc: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

>cbullard@HiWAAY.net (Len Bullard) Asks:

> I have been wondering
>if anyone has set out to create a VRML
>world for Kate Bush yet.

> Why, yes, I have!  If you go to TinyCRWU

Cool.  I don't have Pueblo.  I have
WebFX, Fountain and WorldView.  Just one thang,
expand the acronyms for the non-VRML
types on the list.  :-)  I still don't
know what IED means for the LHs.

>I will SLOWLY be adding all the VRML goodies
>(music, graphics, maybe some 3-D animation
>if I'm up to it).

Great.  The other fellow who responded to my
post, David Benson, has some good photos
on his webpage.  Of course, gathering up
all of the public domain stuff is a requisite,
and knowing which sites can be linked to.
Otherwise, starting a repository of 3D KateObjs
in VRML will be a high priority, so we will
have to be careful with the extensions although
with VRML 1.0 barely breathing, they are unavoidable.

For those who want to get into this, go to the ftp
site or web page for Caligari (ftp.caligari.com/pub/fountain)
and download the Fountain authoring and
browsing system.  The VRML Repository is
another source for *lotsa stuff*.  I suggest
fountain simply because it integrates authoring
and browsing.  For those not yet conversant
with VRML, there is a learning curve and things
aren't as stable yet as one might like, but
a good beginning and tools are in place.

I have concerns about the copyright violation
potential, but that is a general issue for the
WWW that may be a long time being resolved.
Technology is outrunning the law and while
some enjoy that and cheer, it's about the same
thing as cheering OJ in the Bronco down the
freeway.  The people who get hurt don't deserve
it.  In this case, if we aren't scrupulous, it will
be Miss Bush and Novercia who get hurt. So stick
with the items you think are really public domain.
Those pictures from John Carder Bush's "Cathy"
aren't.  Unless he says we can, don't.  Anyone
out there who might work for or with Novercia,
some guidance would really be appreciated
as these folks want to do *the Right Thing*.

> but until
> then, it's still about as nice a Virtual Kate World
> as we're going to get.

Congrats and press on.  Let's get some other
worlds "happening to ya."  BTW, until
I saw that letter from kate on David Benson's
page, I didn't know that phrase was from one
of her early letters.  Lends support to the
Kate of Cathy theme in TRS.

I have this dream.  Hundreds of interactive
Worlds, carefully constructed and linked to
act as if one hand had made them, yet made
by hundreds of individuals who have never
even seen one another, but are drawn
together by love of one woman whose
work unites them.

It has never been possible before, never
made this sensual, never been this real.