Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Toyah and Heather Nova

From: THE OLIVE-LOAF VIGILANTE <METH@delphi.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 1995 21:53:46 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Toyah and Heather Nova
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

  Hi!

  mmoore@prysm.com inquired:

  > Is anyone familiar with the band Sunday All Over the World?
  > This band has been described as a cross between Kate Bush
  > and King Crimson.    I have the only CD I've ever found, and
  > the description is correct.  The band included Robert Fripp and
  > his wife Toyah Wilcox.  Toyah does remind many people of Kate.
  >
  > Has Toyah done any other music??

  Toyah has a few solo albums out, most of which were recorded in the
  early 1980's, though _Ophelia's Shadow_ (some say that's her best)
  came out later than that.  I'm not sure if she reminds me of Kate,
  but I get a feeling lots of Katefans would like her work -- it's got
  a similar sensibility, if you could call it that.  Some of it is just
  downright weird, too. :)

  Stephen Braitman posted:

  > I've just heard a few CDs by HEATHER NOVA, and she's definitely worth
  > checking out if you love Kate Bush.  Her song structures and singing
  > style are definitely influenced by Kate.  New CD is "Oyster" (Work/Sony
  > Records)--listen to "Heal" and "Island" and then tell me she isn't a
  > post-modern Kate Bush!

  Erm, she isn't a post-modern Kate Bush.

  However, she is really, *really* good, and everyone here should run right
  out and check her out.  _Oyster_ has just been released in the US (and is
  on the verge of a VH-1 inspired breakthrough a-la Joan Osborne or even
  Sheryl Crow, judging by the amount of times they've shown the "Walk This
  World" video and talked it up in the last couple of weeks), but there is
  also the wonderful live album _Blow_ and her first effort, _Glowstars_ to
  enjoy as well.  She's on tour now, too -- on the West Coast for the next
  week or so, then she ends up the tour at Irving Plaza in New York on
  November 6.

|Meredith Tarr                                               meth@delphi.com|
|Boonton, NJ  USA                  http://remus.rutgers.edu/~woj/methpg.html|
|                    "Warum hast du gestupid driven?!?" -- woj              |