Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Where there's smoke, there's flaming.

From: pDaleCampbell <a026120@goodyear.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 95 17:19:45 EDT
Subject: Re: Where there's smoke, there's flaming.
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET (The Love Hounds)
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]

In article <Pine.3.89.9510031156.E9397-0100000@cd.cd.columbus.oh.us>,
Stuart M. Castergine <scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us> writes:

> You need to go even younger than that. The baby isn't newborn, it is
> *unborn* and rebelling at the idea of going out into the
> nuclear-war-ravaged world. I believe the nicotine reference is just that.
> The baby's mother (not Kate's mother) is alive and she smokes. ...

Yes, I've seen the video, but the two stories are not necessarily
equivalent (and sometimes better if not, IMHO).  I *used* to
picture the narrator as an adult woman in a fall-out shelter.

It sounds to me like the narrator is saying she is breathing.
Wouldn't you agree?  If so, what does her character mean by that?
Unborn children do not breathe.  Couldn't they be "the first and last"
post-nuclear babies?
And what does she mean by "breathing my mother in"?

I must admit, it is hard for me to get a good handle on the "story"
in this song.  IED, what do *you* think?

I'm sure we all agree on "the grand theme", the devil is in the...

PS:
> Gee, in proper html, it would actually be...
The worst thing about standards is that some people think you should
actually follow them.

PPS: Meet me in Mansfield and we'll duke this out! (That's halfway to
Akron, isn't it? :)

--
UnderToad, pDaleCampbell (pdCampbell@goodyear.com)
___
 |    "Love between the ugly
 |/       is the most beautiful love of all."
 |\