Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

P.S. Kate's acting

From: kln@crl.com
Date: 19 Sep 1995 20:55:50 GMT
Subject: P.S. Kate's acting
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In defense of Kate's acting (if I can be so predictable), I think
we have all seen from her many videos that she can be
perfectly open when needed.  I believe she seems closed
at the beginning of the film as she is suffering -- she can't
dance anymore, life is sad, etc.

Then when she makes the deal, not with God but with her evil twin
(on tonight's show Spock meets his evil twin!)
her heart, smile and path are stolen.  Therefore she CAN'T smile,
she can't have much of an expression because she doesn't have
a heart, is purposeless and without a path.

We get flashes of her fire, when she's belting out "really happenin'
to ya!" and with Lily, and as she chases her smile back through
the four seasons to summer's fruit.  In the final battle with her
doppelganger, she still doesn't believe she has the strength to
survive, but finds it somehow and literally throws off her oppression
and steps out of the mirror into the actual world.

At the end of the movie she is shown not in the black of mourning
that she wore at the beginning, but in the full fruit dress of harvest and
celebration.

I believe her "acting" or "lack of acting" is actually deliberate.

Other opinions?

Karen  kln@a.crl.com