Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: spams and digest

From: beach house tiki god <woj@remus.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 18:07:05 -0400
Subject: Re: spams and digest
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se (Mikael Jakonen) sez:

>What I offer as an idea, is that we create a kill-file that looks into
>the header, and checks the 'To: ' line.

rather than checking the to: header, check the newsgroup: header.  spam
tends to be posted to gaffa, rather than mailed to love-hounds.  this
will also let mail sent to love-hounds and another list pass through
since mail shouldn't have a newsgroups: header.

>Drawbacks are two major ones:
>1. It will not stop spams directed only at gaffa, like that grocery spam.

technically, spam isn't just off-topic posts. spam is posts sent to
multiple newsgroups, sometimes separately (which may defeat the scheme
you have proposed since spam posted individually to newsgroups will
have single groups in the newsgroup: header).

>If nothing else, just a kill-file to kill all those f***ng magazine-
>spams.

hear hear!

[Meredith's suggestion to split the mailing list and the newsgroup]

>The problem with that suggestion is that there will be far less people
>to discover that an Internet fanclub dedicated to Kate Bush actually exists.

i highly doubt that. if you have regular notifications about the existance
of love-hounds posted to rec.music.misc and rec.music.announce, people
who are interested will find the list.

same thing goes for a web page - register it in the primary web search
engines and web catalogs and you will find many people visiting the
web page and subscribing to the list.

for example, i run the robyn hitchcock mailing list. everday, i get about
three or so new subscribers and i don't advertise the list except for
a web page. people who are interested will find the list.

RIDLEY@ZASU.SPRL.UMICH.EDU sez:

>My suggestion was to allow ANYONE to READ rec.music.gaffa, having all posts
>to the mailing list go there also, BUT not allowing news net people to
>POST to the mailing group, UNLESS they are on the subscription list.

our humble pseudo-moderator would probably have to maintain two mailing
lists: love-hounds and love-hounds-post. people who get the digest would
be on love-hounds. people who read gaffa would be on love-hounds-post
which would have no mail sent to it. if someone sends mail to the list
or posts to the newsgroup, their address would be checked against these
two lists and if there are no matches, the mail/post is /dev/nulled.

that shouldn't be hard to do.

>That is my proposal, which is on the floor. So far, only about 3 people have
>commented on this. It is a serious proposal. I would like it if some of the
>people who have been on the list forever comment on it. Stevo? IED? Chris
>(where are you and Vickie anyways)? Bill? Doug? Uli? Others?

the only voice that really matters is bill's - if he has the time to
write and install a pseudo-moderator script, tehn we should go forward
with this. if he doesn't, hopefully someone can do it for him.

if nothing happens, would anyone consider the creation of a new mailing
list with no link to the newsgroup? would there be interest in that?

woj