Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

spam solution?

From: RIDLEY@ZASU.SPRL.UMICH.EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 9:38:18 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: spam solution?
To: LOVE-HOUNDS@UUNET.UU.NET

Fellow readers of Love Hounds,

  In the past week we have had about 10-15 posts from various sources which
have absolutely nothing to do with the news group. I read this group to get
information about Kate Bush and other musicians or music related items. I
do not read this group to find a date or to buy magazines. I am sure that
almost all of you feel the same way.

  Up until about 1 month ago, this SPAM problem has just been an occasional
bother, but it's different now. We are getting 1-2 post per DAY. Something
is wrong here. We have got to stop this somehow.

  A friend of mine was telling me that he reads a news group which was getting
SPAMed all the time, and in order to stop the spamming, they moderated the
group. Not that the moderator had to read every message, they did it like this:
Any one can read the News-Net group, but only people that actually have a
subscription to Love-Hounds can actually post to it.

  So Bill would have to set up some sort of file having a list of all the
people who have subscribed to Love-Hounds, and when someone posts to the list,
A program or something would run down the list and make sure that they are
on that list before the post is distributed.

  That is my solution. What do you all think?

Aaron